Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Pics of Mine (this time I got it right)

I've posted a link before, but here's my red pine accordion. I really love it, but I wondered if the end plates were something other than red pine -- the grain seems different from the rest. Maybe it's simply the way the wood was cut. Any ideas? I should probably ask the man himself.

Accordion2

accordion4

accordion5

accordion7

Sadly, I've playing so much guitar in the past month, I hardly touch my accordions. I have a brand new J-45 that is gorgeous. Been pickin' up a storm.

Nick B

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pics of Mine (this time I got it right)

Man, I'm just crazy about this wood for an accordion!! I wish I played mine so I could ask him to make me another. I really think this other wood is walnut, but you're right--he'd be the best person to ask. Oh, and I really, really like the burgundy diamond inlay on yours!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pics of Mine (this time I got it right)

Nice accordion. Your endplates look like Oak or Ash.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pics of Mine (this time I got it right)

I meant Nic's endplates look like oak or ash. Both accordions look good.

Re: As Promised, The Red Pine Box

Looks a lot like my Bon Cajun made of pine, I must have a red pine box too, the grain is very close. Pine is a great choice for accordions, it has a good sound, and it's a bit lighter, so I find it a little easier to play.

Re: Re: As Promised, The Red Pine Box

Great looking Red Pine Boxes. There is a lot of red pine growing in Wisconsin and it is a native tree. Does anyone know what the botanical name for the Louisiana Red Pine is? The red pine up here is Pinus resinosa.

Re: Re: Re: Pinus resinosa Soland

It seems that this is the same species as that in Louisiana.

Red Pine is native to the northeastern range. The Louisiana pine may be something else or northern lumber transported for commerce. Cut down a telephone pole and make a box!

Sarah, nice accordion.
I would have thought that the colour was more or less reddish.
If I had to choose, apart from the sound, which is of course the most important thing, I think I'd prefer the one you own, this one looks a little too "scandinavian wood" like for me. In Holland wood like this is very soft (exept my Douglas fir wooden shed, in which after a few years after builing one has to drill a hole to get a nail in

Gus

Re: Soft wood

I was wondering the same thing.
Pine can be light and reasonably strong, but most of the pine I have seen (including the pine from a 90 year old accordion I have) is pretty soft wood.

But I an sure there is more than one type of pine.
depending on where in the tree, etc.

I know, 'cause we cut down an old pine tree in front of my parents house and it was resinous as hell and weighed a ton! (would not have made a good accordion! :)

DP

Re: Re: Soft wood

Red pine is among the hardest of pines expecially if the boards are cut off the heart wood. However it is not a hardwood. But, like red cypress, which is just as hard, makes beautiful accordions.

It looks like the heartpine that I help remove from an old thread mill here in ga. At one time we had over 200,000 board ft of heartpine stored at the mill. Not to mention all the center joining strips which were as rich as fat lighter. Bruce

I love that accordion. The color and the flames in the wood are wunderful. Does he sounds as he looks?
It looks tike the big and heavy wooden table we bought years ago in Denmark during a holliday. And I think that the best song to play on is Les Piniers.

Re: Re: As Promised, The Red Pine Box

Hey, Ron

You can listen to it on our MySpace. It's this accordion being played on "La Cote Farouche de la Vie".

Sarah

Re: Re: Re: As Promised, The Red Pine Box

Indeed, the sound is as good as the looks.
I know that melody as an old country song or am I wrong?

Re: Re: Re: Re: As Promised, The Red Pine Box

That's right! "The Wild Side of Life"

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!