Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: fave steve riley record

I think they are all good, especially his debut on Rounder -- "'Tit Galop Pour Mamou" -- that's my favorite.

His release, "Happy Town" is kinda ... just weird. I think he was attempting to try his hand at rock/Americana and it just wasn't his bag. But ya can't slam a guy for trying -- I still like that one after a few beers.

If you've got Dominoes, pshaw... you got the best one in my opinion.

R!CK

Re: Re: fave steve riley record

Hey Y'all,

To be perfectly honest, the first ever Steve Riley record always struck me as the best modern Cajun album. It was recorded in Zach Richard's garage/studio and bears little polish or digital magic.

There's a raw energy in those songs that I haven't heard in a Steve Riley record since.

Peter Schwartz -- who incidently was featured in an NY Times article yesterday -- told me he always thought Steve's singing sounded like "a mouthful of marbles" on record #1. As for myself, I think his singing is outstanding.

Highlights include "Eunice Waltz" and "Port Arthur Blues". Those are my favorite verions of those tunes.

No collection should be without it.

And yes, "Bayou Ruler" is truly awful. I remember cringing when listening to it at a music store in Montreal. Hey, everyone needs to experiment.

Nick B.

bayou ruler

hey
i like that record
i wouldn;t recommend it until a person had
another, say, 100 or so more 'regular'
sounding cajun records, though

when they used to play songs from it live,
you could kind of understand it more
they were really electrifying to hear live

something about that one didn;t come across
on the record

though clearly they didn;t intend for it to
be anything traditional
i really think the music is first rate
the boys are truly some of the best
musicians playing in any kind of music

wle.

Re: bayou ruler- Greeley's contribution.

I understand how a traditional music fan might not like the more experimental sides of the Mamou Playboys recordings. However, every culture needs both traditionalists and trailblazers. Somebody has to invent something if ever it is going to get "revived"!
In my humble opinion, David Greeley's songwriting is a tremendous contribution to the cajun culture and to francophone musical culture everywhere in the world, period, point, c'est tout.
These guys are a great team, taking the cajun sound through the of the turn of the latest millenium.

Re: new steve riley dvd - question

Braves,

Re: "new steve riley dvd"

I couldn't find a "Buy-It-Now" link for Steve's
new beginner's instructional video on his web page.

And, it doesn't appear to be listed in the
"Order-it-By-mail" pdf file either.

Has anyone else located the ordering information?

Also, how does everyone feel about the price of $35?

Note: this is *not * intended to be a criticism of
the price tag, I just want to understand what $ value
such an instructional video has to everyone.

(Yes, this is a leading question ;-)

Thanks,

--Big Nick

Re: Re: new steve riley dvd - question

Nick,
I paid about $26 a piece for Dirk Powell's dvds, and Wilson Savoy's is priced at $25. I think that the $25 dollar price range is fair, both for instructor and buyers.

Keeping in mind Steve Riley's reputation, I guess I can understand why his are priced higher, but I'm also mindful that sometimes the most skilled artists are NOT the most skilled teachers. Sometimes, it's better to learn from someone who had to really work at his/her craft. So, for me it's all about the quality of instruction.

Personally, I think I'm going to have to make a choice between his dvds, because I can't see my way to spending $70 on two dvds.

Didn't you say you were thinking of doing an instructional dvd, Nick?

JtO

Re: Re: Re: new steve riley dvd - question

Jude the Obscure,

Thank you for the information!

Yes, I have been working on an instructional
Cajun Accordion DVD.

I am targeting a "way beginners" Accordion-101 level.

Should it work out, I'll continue with additional
volumes

It's more work than I thought!

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for
content

Thanks again Jude,

--Big Nick

Re: Re: Re: Re: new steve riley dvd - question

Big Nick,
At the risk of sounding like a suck-up, I have to say that I've found your Box Lesson site extremely useful.

There was a two-week lag time between when I received my accordion and when I received my first instructional dvd; and during that time, I used your site to learn some of the basics.

And even after working through Dirk Powell's two dvds, I still refer back to your site. In fact, your piece-by-piece breakdown for "La Porte d'en Arriere" probably worked better for me than any other teaching method has. I certainly learned the basic framework of that song faster than any other song yet.

In fact, one of the things I find most frustrating about most instructional dvds is that the teacher assumes that the student's ability to learn music by ear progresses just as fast as the student's ability to play the box. In my case, this isn't true at all. I've learned to play a number of songs, to play in octaves, to incorporate the left side of the box, and to add ornaments.

But that doesn't mean that I've also learned how to easily learn a song by ear.

For me, learning a new song by ear means spending an hour or so picking notes and guessing. Then I have to write down a tablature. And only then do I begin to alter/ornament the song in a way that seems fitting. (And all of this is hard to do with a full-time job during the day and a child in the house at night).

The fact that you supply tablature and music for "Lacassine Special" or provide a piece-by-piece approach for "La Porte d'en Arriere" is helpful because it has enabled me to expand my repertoire without as much time spent in guessing notes. And, in turn, my larger repertoire has probably kept me practicing more often and for longer than I would have if I was restricted to the same 2 or 3 songs.

Jude

I started this link awhile ago;so forgive me for repeating myself. This is a must have. It is not a beginner DVD. You hve to have the basics down from Dirk's Vid. But, if yu want to sound like a cajun player, you need to learn the techniques that are finally revealed clearly, logically and in a manner that can be practiced and learned. Using them creatively is what seperates players and that can't be taught. But, you can learn the techniques that are unique to the genre and then take them as far as you can.

I found the same thing:

NO "Buy-It-Now" link for Steve's
new beginner's instructional video on his web page.

And, it doesn't appear to be listed in the
"Order-it-By-mail" pdf file either.

So how do you order it ?????

Thanks ..... Ed

Re: Re: Re: new steve riley dvd - question

Wilson Savoy produced it but I don't see it yet on his website above. The only one there as of today is Steve's Intermediate DVD which is also a must have. Email Wilson and he'll let you know when it is officially released. There was a minor glitch in the advanced copy so perhaps that has delayed it.

Re: new steve riley dvd

I sent a PAYPAL payment to Steve's paypal address listed on the site..and explained I was ordering his new DVD ( along with a CD )..

I hope he reads that and sends it !

G.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!