Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Castagnaris and Mail Order

Cheers for the help, whereabouts are you? I'm in Sussex

Bob

Re: Castagnaris and Mail Order

Welcome to the forum Bob. I recently joined this forum too. I live in Lafayette, La. There are several accordion makers in the area, some of which have been mentioned. Someone else will post soon telling you all about them. How is everything in Angleterre?

Thanks for your welcome, angleterre is wet and windy, summers on the way!!

Bob

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Welcome to the forum Bob. I recently joined this forum too. I live in Lafayette, La. There are several accordion makers in the area, some of which have been mentioned. Someone else will post soon telling you all about them. How is everything in Angleterre?

The main difference is sound has less to do with the tuning and more to do with the number of reeds per note, and the pitch (octave) of the reeds.

Traditionally, Cajun accordions have 1 low reed, two middle reeds and one high reed per note played.

Many Italian, English, and French accordions have completely different reed configurations.

...and yes, tuning does make a difference, but not as much as the reed configuration.

I hope that helped to answer your question.

DP

The reed configuration in a Castagnari Max is the same as in a LA made Cajun accordeon. Also 1 low, two middle and one high. The positioning of the reeds is different. They are mounted in two reedblocks and are all standing up. In a LA box there are two reed lines standing up and two are lying.
MAX |||| and LA box _||_.
Maybe is this the reason for another sound.
Maybe is the size of the reeds different for the same note in a Castagnari Max.
The Castagnari's I have, are Cajun Tuned as far as I know(some reeds a litlle lower), but they sound different as a LA made.
They are smaller, but they have much volume.
They play not bad at all.
But I keep on dreaming!

Re: Re: Re: Castagnaris and Mail Order

Thanks, so do I!!

Bob

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

The reed configuration in a Castagnari Max is the same as in a LA made Cajun accordeon. Also 1 low, two middle and one high. The positioning of the reeds is different. They are mounted in two reedblocks and are all standing up. In a LA box there are two reed lines standing up and two are lying.
MAX |||| and LA box _||_.
Maybe is this the reason for another sound.
Maybe is the size of the reeds different for the same note in a Castagnari Max.
The Castagnari's I have, are Cajun Tuned as far as I know(some reeds a litlle lower), but they sound different as a LA made.
They are smaller, but they have much volume.
They play not bad at all.
But I keep on dreaming!

Thanks

Bob

Thanks for help

Bob

Re: Re: Re: Castagnaris and Mail Order

Bob, I'm up in Lancashire.

If you ever make it up this way you are welcome to come and try out my various boxes.

I can only speak the accordions I have, but different builders boxes do have a slightly different feel and sound.

I met some people this weekend who organised the melodeon building workshop in East Anglia, they showed me some pictures, very nice.
they told me one of the attenders (Reese ?)
built himself a Cajun accordion, and was planning on
building some more.

Wilfred

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!