Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MAZ

Sorry to continue off topic, but I don't have your e-mail.
The reason I asked about the pub was that I have only ever seen one pub called 'My Father's Moustache' ( and I'm in England, where pubs abound). This one was in Louth, Lincolnshire, and the pub sign showed an RAF officer type, with his trademark handlebar 'tash.

Now, there are at least three wartime airfields near Louth (probably used to be more) and I thought that one could have been home to a bomber squadron flying Handley-Page Halifax bombers - hence the connection. A quick look on the web didn't throw up any evidence to support the theory, so it must remain a mystery.

Incidentaly, is there any connection between 'moustache' (or 'tash'), and tache as in 'spot', which is how the word is usually translated in Madame Bosco. i.e. a mark on the face?

BJ

Re: MAZ

There was a bar by the same name in New Orleans, La. that burnt down back in the 1980's.

Re: MAZ

Interesting question... I don't know where the founder found his name.. But there could be a connection through WWII aircrew. There is an airforce base just across the harbour of Halifax, and Halifax was a major strategic point of departure for ships convoys en route for England during WWII.
The original founder of the Father's Moustache in Halifax might have been inspired by a pub in England. Who knows? I'll ask the manager the next time I go. My office is acutally in the building right next door, and I go to lunch there quite often. Besides the great food at resonable prices, you should see the staff!

Re: Re: MAZ

Hmm, worth a visit, then!

BJ

Re: Re: Re: MAZ

Don't mean to be picky, but it's actually called "Your Father's Mustache. I jammed a couple of times with Joe Murphy's band theremyself. By the way, we should get Joe on this site , I'm sure he'd enjoy it!

Re: Re: Re: Re: MAZ

Good idea Harlan. Yes BJ, definitely worth going!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!