Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
STEVE RILEY BEGINNER DVD vs. DIRK POWELL BEGINNER DVD

Greetings from Opelousas. Can anyone tell me how the new STEVE RILEY BEGINNER'S dvd compares to the DIRK POWELL BEGINNER'S dvd? Thanks, albert

Re: STEVE RILEY BEGINNER DVD vs. DIRK POWELL BEGINNER DVD

You need to go through at least vol 1 of Dirk Powell's set before you tackle Steve's IMHO. Steve's new DVD is not really a beginner's lesson.
That being said, if you are not lucky enough to be in SW La you need both if you want to learn to play.
Playing out tomorrow with my Zydeco band at a house party in Philly. What could be more fun! Steve, if you read this, thanks again for that private lesson a year ago last Feb. for my 60th birthday.

Re: Re: STEVE RILEY BEGINNER DVD vs. DIRK POWELL BEGINNER DVD

Agreed: both Steve's and Dirk's lessons are
essential, but I'd start with Dirk's.

--Big

Re: STEVE RILEY BEGINNER DVD vs. DIRK POWELL BEGINNER DVD

I just got the Steve Riley video. It is awesome. Very clearly explains the ornamentation that is the base of great Cajun music. Takes Dirks video one step further. I would recommend buying both. Start off with Dirks then switch to Steve's.

Lacassine Special has somehow always escaped me with my tin ear but I am at least playing it slowly now.

Great video!!!!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!