Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RICK ( but not exclusively! )

make sure you wear your "I`m BJ" shirt, Ron, this one is for BJ....so don`t wear your "Im BJ" shirt.

W

Re: Re: RICK ( but not exclusively! )

I'm the guy with a beer in my hand.

Re: RICK ( but not exclusively! )

Thanks for the update -- I was always curious as to the extent of the popularity of C&Z in the EU. I'm trying to remember what my comment was, but I think it had more to do with the fact that European musicians have a talent for reinventing American music -- or perhaps looking at it from a different angle and then presenting it back to the US. Which in my opinion is very cool. Puts a fresh spin on things.

I hadn't seen that occur with C&Z necessarily, but that's not to say there aren't some outstanding C&Z musicians in the EU. I've heard their music and visited their websites, etc., but haven't had the chance to see any live shows. There's this guy, "Lil' Jim" who I think has a really cool stage presence and "look" but his music doesn't sound as edgy as his visual appeal. But, perhaps that's just it -- at least he's not wearing a floppy straw hat, bandana and overalls -- something so contrived. I like Lil' Jim's juxtapostion of eyeliner, dyed hair, chains and leather combined with a sound that you'd swear came straight outta Lafayette.

Expect the unexpected... that's what love about the history of the European influence on the world of art and music. Just wishing there was more of an embrace and spin on urbanized zydeco from the EU like the way so many artists there have adopted reggae as their own.

It's a cool "ponderization."

R!CK

Re: Re: RICK ( but not exclusively! )

Li'l Jim is from Derby. His dad played harmonica with R Cajun and Jim started box playing at about fourteen. He's come on recently from being a shy kid to a confident front man. He's backed by seasoned players, of course - usually Chris Hall etc.
Like most zydeco bands, he's better live.

BJ

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!