Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: learn by ear

Since all can tell me that tabs are just a crutch, why cant anyone tell me where I can find a good accordian teacher in SWLA? I mean you all have good advice and I appreciate that, but I cant listen and learn if I dont know what I am listening for. Is there anyone there that can teach me???

Re: Re: Re: learn by ear

I know there's several accordionist in SWLA willing to give lessons -- a few have been suggested in recent convos here, and I'd also recommend Joel Martin (Jr.'s grandson).

But here's the kicker... even if you find someone to take lessons from, it's all about what you do with the accordion outside of formal instruction. You've got to commit yourself to spending lots of time with it in your hands; a lot of that time will be very frustrating. But practicing as much as you can and as often as you can is the key to getting anywhere on it.

Like Marc Savoy says in his DVD "The Gospel Accordion To Marc", just because you get a typewriter, don't expect to type. Don't expect to go to a lesson to learn a song if you can't hum it in your head...

My experience is, and has been thus far, you've got to have g-u-m-p-t-i-o-n. And if you've got musical/creative talent in your blood -- that won't hurt.

I've learned completely by ear/feel. I have lived in an area (Dallas) where I have been the *only* Cajun accordion player around. I'm not the greatest and probably am no even match for more than half of 'em in the Pelican State, but I'm happy at what I've absorbed and have a great time performing AND practicing it. But it's been through the sacrifice of time spent alone with the box in hand, that I've made the biggest steps, and for me -- that's at least an hour every day. The rest of the time is listening to CDs.

Good luck with it! Just remember to hum the song you wan't to learn. Dat's key, brutha!

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: learn by ear

Amen to the committment thing. It aint easy, but it sure is fun!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: learn by ear

"Amen to the committment thing. It aint easy, but it sure is fun!"

The last word in Bryan's statement is one of the most important things. As long as you're having fun with any instrument, you will learn and you will never learn enough, no matter how long you play, but the day that the fun is gone, more than likely, so is the learning.

Dowell Lafleur

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: learn by ear

Thank you guys so much for the advice. I will take it all in and do whatever it takes to learn. I spend lots of time each day practicing what I know and trying to take that next step with my tabs. Tabs are an easier way for me to learn right now. I listen to cajun music every single minute of the day that I can. Its in my blood. I just want to learn a couple songs from someone just to get me on my feet. Thanks again.

Vince
337-274-9210

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!