Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
How would a French Canadian fit in in SW LA?

Just out of curiosity? How would a French Cdn (Québécois or Acadian) be accepted if he/she was to move in the Acadiana region? I know some Acadians from South West Nova Scotia who have bought a house over there to go to over the cold season here (snow birds) instead of heading to Florida. I never thought of asking the question.
What are these famous "roaches" by the way?

Re: How would a French Canadian fit in in SW LA?

The roaches are also known as palmetto bugs. They are basically roaches on steroids who are fond of flying into your face, biting the groin area, and laying eggs in your ear canals. Don't crush them with your foot either -- they have acid for blood.

As for French Canadians, there are quite a few in Cajun country. Naturally, they're easy to spot: just look for folks wearing sandals in February and eating candy bars for breakfast. C'est ca, calice!

Seriously, though, I think they're generally very well received. I've relished the opportunity to speak French with the locals. This is something that anglophones sometimes miss out on.

Re: Re: How would a French Canadian fit in in SW LA?

But the palmetto bugs make a good thick gravy if you can wrestle one into the pot.

Heck Maz, I know one place you could get a warm reception.

Re: Re: How would a French Canadian fit in in SW LA?

Hay Nick this thread be kracken me up

Yall are maken me homesick and I'm at home right now.

but i gotta tell-yee, bruddah, a palmetto bug caint fly, and it sho aint no roach! iss like a armored beetle spray painted copper red and when you stawmp it you get the grossest smell -- like palmettos.

roaches can fly iss enough to make you want to move to canada!

jt in florida

hay everybody.

Quebecious would fit right in Maz. Firstly most cajuns would want to expand their french so you might get asked what is a word for that or maybe how would you pronounce this etc but after a while they would leave you alone. My friends from Ste. Anne de Bellevue loved it in Louisiana and all my friends and family loved them. Couldn't talk them in to moving however. So pre storm we had planned to move there.

Roaches - they own the place. I grabbed one off of my neck one morning while asleep, threw it against a hollow core door, and it "thudded".

There was another time they were carrying me down the hall of my trailer, but I think drugs were involved in that one.

Reply for Bruce

I live in Ellijay Bruce. In the Coosawattee River Resort. But, we lived in Kennesaw for about a year and moved here in Jan. However we go back that way occasionally. My wife's hairdresser works in Woodstock. While living in Kennesaw we didn't find Woodstock to be that bad. Actually we rather liked it. If ever you are up this way you must drop by. In seeing that you have a band and if ever you have some accordion problems I would be glad to help you out.

Re: top reasons we should NOT move to Louisiana?

Palmetto bug.

Louisiana roux!

Reply for John

Hey John: We had a place in Beaver Lake up there also. My family is from Fannin Co, Dial Ga. We also migrated to Ellijay off of 52 going up the mountain. What type of accordion do you play? My new Martin is in Atlanta right now and will be delivered tomorrow. If you know where Holly Springs is of 575 we have a jam on the 1st and 3rd Thursday nights at the train depot at 7 p.m. Its a bluegrass jam, but I usually do a few cajun box numbers as well. You should ride down this Thursday and we'll hook up. I'm in Ellijay from time to time on my way to the indian reservation. If your ever down this way my office phone is 770-516-6872 give me a call and we'll do lunch or coffee or something. Bruce Weeks

Claude,
Got to get used to flat land. If you get bored by the horizon and have to have a hill in the distance, not your place. Also have to like pine and black gum trees.
Roaches are not that bad. Just a part of the South. Keep the dishes washed and the trash taken out and the floor mopped and have the exterminator come by once a month. Also, no brown wingtip shoes. They have an affection for brown wingtips, and decoy to them with love in their hearts.
If you really have to have a dose of big city, Houston is only three hours away. A day there will cure you and your wife from having to have a mall down the street. Hey, Lafayette is bad enough traffic-wise, but nothing like Houston, Austin, or San Antone.
Never been to Syracuse or Albany myself, but if you are an urban type, you will have no problems finding what you need in the Lafayette or Lake Charles area. Just like the rest of America.
Humidity? There are a few dry cool days. Learn to enjoy them.
I say head on down.
JB

Just to expand on what JB was saying...

The Lafayette area would be the perfect place for you to move to if you decide to move down to Louisiana. IMO, it is nowhere near as bad down here as many people have made it out to be on this thread. Just this weekend I was talking to a lady from Massachusetts and she told me she had been debating for years whether or not she should move down here until finally she took the plung and she told me it was the best decision she had ever made and is loving it down here.

Claude, Quel courage! You will get used to the humidity Cher. Keep your kitchen or food stuff area clean and an occasionally spray of insecticide and you will be fine. I haven't seen a roach in years. In the evenings I would suggest using mosquito spray (deet)because of the threat of bird flu. Let us know what you decide. Bonne chance, Wm.

Wash. DC/ Metro area. 6/8/07
99 Deg. High humidity, hazy. Traffic, air quality poor.
Louisiana sounds better to me now.

Craig

Re: Re: top reasons we should NOT move to Louisiana?

Poo-Yie! (Wow! for you) sounds like Louisiana in mid August. Drink plenty of beer......or other...... liquids to stay hydrated. Mais, venir nous voir, cher.

Re: Re: Re: top reasons we should NOT move to Louisiana?

LA isn't for the faint at heart. If it is any consolation, I wouldn't move up north simply because I dont wanna play in the snow. The heat aint so bad all the time. As far as da hurricanes, they come and they go. but all, and all I wouldn't live any where else but southwest louisiana. As far as I am concerned the world stops at the Texas line. LOL

Re: Re: Re: Re: top reasons we should NOT move to Louisiana?

Hehehehe. David J you are correct, I had chances of moving to Houston, Lufkin and Oak Ridge, Oregon. Oregon!? Do they even have rice there? I declined the offers. There's no place like home.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!