Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Yo Jim ~

F-Box -- yuh talkin' high F or low F? Jest curious. I have a high E/F d-k Falcon and love the heck outta it. Had a recent spate of songwriting with the F and it rocks booty on the lower octaves.

~R!CK

Re: Yo Jim ~

Hey Rick. I'm definately thinking about a high F. Do they make low F Cajun boxes?

The thing that got me interested was listening to "Made in Louisiana" by Marc Savoy / Dewey Balfa. The F sounds like a Merry-Go-Round.

Do you have any recordings/vids of your box?

Cheers

Jim

Re: Re: Hi-F Accordion - FWIW :-)

Guys,

FWIW, I own a hi-F box and it's definitely one of
my favorites!

As has been stated, the lower registers are very
expressive.

I have a theory about hi-F .. I think that it's more
responsive than my other accordions.

I suspect that, because of the high-pitched tuning,
the reeds require less air pressure to sound.

Perhaps the low-mass reeds have less iniertia so they
become more rapidly excited

But, it's godda be one of my coolest instruments!

--Big Nick

Re: Re: Re: Hi-F Accordion - FWIW :-)

Totally concur -- the F handles on a dime and the most responsive key I own. No recordings of mine available *yet* (tunes are originals, still cooking and unpublished) -- but we are in the studio with it and several other of my boxes at the moment. Our target is to have a CD released in September.

I've heard of a low F box, but never have seen one -- I think the dimensions would have to be larger than the standard box to accomodate the size of the reeds. I have a low G and I think at times, it's just too low to really hear what's going on as the band easily starts clobbering it.

But the two high keys -- E and F -- wow... what gloss. They shine through with such little effort. That box is the one on my Myspace main page photo -- dark blue curley maple with quilted maple faces and gold logo. Had it for 9 years... Randy does outstanding work.

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!