Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Gabbanelli "Cajun King" just arrived.

That cool man, I think I bookmarked that same box on ebay. I had wondered about those boxes, I like you was so impressed by an upgrade. Congratulations, Bruce

Re: Re: New Gabbanelli "Cajun King" just arrived.

I been tootin' the horn for the King on this board for a long time. I don't own one, but I've played on a couple of 'em. They truly don't suck and they are a less expensive alternative to a handmade -- and far better than a Hohner. Congrats and good luck on it!

~R!CK

Re: Re: Re: New Gabbanelli "Cajun King" just arrived.

I was curious about the reeds in those. Italian I assume? Anyone know what maker? I just upgraded from a 114 to a Mouton box I bought from A guy in nearby in Broussard. Man what a difference! Way louder and smoother even for its age (july 1991 mfg.) I get what you are saying Bruce!

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Gabbanelli "Cajun King" just arrived.

If a handmade box such as Marc Savoy makes is better, then wow... I haven't had the pleasure of playing one. You so right about the Gabbanelli being a step up from the Hohner...a very big step up in feel, looks, and sound. I may be imagining it, but, at times, the reeds seem to have a sort of "human voice" quality about them. Very pleasing.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Gabbanelli "Cajun King" just arrived.

Thanks for the feedback John. I've mentionned several times on this blog that the Cajun Kin Gab is a very good compromise between the cheapy Chinesse (Ariette etc. in the $300-$400 range) vs. the LA hand made which are now in the $1,800 - $2K range. For about $1K, you can get a Gab. A couple of months, I tried a Bb Gab Cajun King, and was impressed with it. I don't think they use the same quality Binci Italian reeds, but hey, you get what you pay for. Do you have a pic to show?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Gabbanelli "Cajun King" just arrived.

Well, if you're unhappy with the look of your Gabb, you can always alter it like Leroy has done .

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Gabbanelli "Cajun King" just arrived.

My Gabb is light walnut with a red bellows (black, gold, white, red diamond on the front) orange papers. Thumb strap and bass strap are heavy red leather, keys are pearlized as are the covers on the top and bottom ends of the keyboard. Keys are black with red trim, stainless corners all around. The box did not come with a strap, but Mike Gabbanelli put some nice strap mounts on for only $10. I'll post a picture Monday. The only thing I have had to do is move the thumb strap (not hard to do.) I hated drilling a new pilot hole for the screw, but it was necessary. I will fill the old hold neatly so you won't even see it. The strap was positioned so that my thumb was against the back of the keyboard instead of on the front edge.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!