Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Have you considered a Bon Cajun (Jay MIller)?

Jay, Larry Miller's grandson has taken over the biz for the Bon Cajun brand. They are identical as the ones built by Larry.
Have you considered them? They would be in the same approximate price range with the same quality.
I've never tried a Martin Jr., but own an Acadian in D (Walnut)and a Bon Cajun in C (Red). I love both equally. See clips above with both.
Maz

savoy and "making an accordion just for you"

something else to consider - when
i visited marc savoy 10 years ago,
he wanted me to play something for him
before he would talk to me about an accordion

i didn;t like that-
because at the time, i wasn;t very good
i told him i wasn;t good-but
also that i still wanted a good accordion
he never did say he would do just as
good a job for mine as for steve riley
he was kind of cagey about it

junior martin definitely won;t do that
he will make you a good one no matter what

larry miller too

wle

Re: Martin vs Savoy accordian

Hello George!

If you are still seeking opinions, please eMail
me directly and I'll share mine.

Use the above eMail address sans the "(nospam)".

I own Savoy's, Miller's and Martin.

--Big Nick

Re: Re: Martin vs Savoy accordian - dimensions info

George,

Here's what I've come up with, to the best of the
measurements devices that I have at my disposal.

The Savoy's key "board", i.e., the actual wooden
board that the buttons reside in, measures about
2 3/4" X 9 7/8"

The Martin:

2 7/8" X 10 3/16"

So, the actual key "board" is slightly larger on my Martin.

As far as key spacing, I made a measurement from the
outer edge of button #1 to the outer edge of button
#10.

So, this measurement encompasses all ten buttons.

Guess what .. it was the same for both instruments,
7 1/4" span, so I'd say the spacing is the same
on my two instruments.

Also, the Savoy's buttons reside about 3/16" closer
to the edge of the "board" than the Martin.

(i.e., the Martin's buttons are about 3/16" farther
"inboard" than the Savoy.)

Both of my instruments have metal buttons.

I hope that helps .. personally, I've never noticed
a difference on the 10-button side between the two
instruments while playing :-)

Hope this helps?

--Big Nick

Re: Martin vs Savoy accordian

Nick
What do mean by a smaller keyboard on the Savoy box?

Re: Re: Martin vs Savoy accordian

George,

I am referring to the dimensions of the actual
wood board upon which the buttons are mounted.

As indicated by my previous measurements, this board
is just slightly smaller (length & width) on my
Savoy accordion as compared to my Martin.

--Big

Re: Re: Re: Martin vs Savoy accordian

George :

I find reading all of the previous responses very good reading. I have two Martin boxes, and enjoy them both very much. I have also owned a couple of Quebecois boxes as well. They all have their wonderful traits. And in many little different ways they all have their differences. As previously mentioned, the Martin box is louder than any other that I have owned. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it..... but related to that fact, I also think that the Martin box takes a bit more air than ...lets say a Savoy box. I have tried Savoy boxes, and Quebecois boxes, and I am quite certain that this is the case. Once you are used to it, it does not matter. You just play it the way it plays. ................Mr. Martin is "absolutely" a gracious and welcoming fellow to work with as well.

It is also very apparent that, the sound of the box aside, Savoy builds very traditional, "looking" boxes, whereas Martin will build you a box of equal quality, but, in any colour, any accessory, any add-on that you may want,.... for a price. Traditionalists may frown on this, but for many people, they want a box that appeals to them esthetically, that way.

Having a clean slate as you do, I would not limit myself to just these two brands. There are so many good builders. I suggest that you make the effort to actually try as many of these boxes in your hot little hands, as you can, and actually experience the way they feel. I think it will make all the difference for you. I know that for my next box, I will definitely give it a good test run before I buy it. For instance I can't wait to go to the next Accordion festival in Montmagny Qc. this fall, to try out a whole host of boxes. I know that folks like Savoy and others go to these festivals to meet with other builders, and players. These festivals are a great venu for trying out different boxes. I would buy a Savoy in a second, but try them out first. As Steve Riley invites you to do on one of his DVD's. "Come on down to cajun country and visit with us". I am certain that you would find it worthwhile, if not simply a very memorable trip. You'll want to go back every year.

JL

To J.L. Brunelle:

Hey JL: You're mentionning Montmagny fest. Are you going this September?
Where do you live? Did you know about the new fest in Memramcook NB? It just happened on June 1-3.

Re: To J.L. Brunelle:

Hey Maz :

I live in Winnipeg, so, any of these festivals are a ways. I had not heard of the NB festival. Could be a good one in the years to come.

I first heard of the Montmagny festival from M. Robert Boutet, in Quebec, whom I bought my second accordion from a few years ago. I know that you are familiar with him from some of your postings. Anyway, he knew that I was interested in the cajun side of accordions, and he told me that Marc Savoy, among many other Louisiana builders frequently showed up at this festival. Among accordion festivals, Montmagny apparently ranks among the top ones in the world, in terms of variety, of genres (german, irish, cajun...... and on, and on.

He told me that at any given festival year, you could meet among the best builders and performers in the world of accordioning, in most genres. By the way, out of all 4 hand built accordions that I have owned, Robert Boutet's accordion was the tightest one of them all. It had the quickest action, the least leakage, and turned out to be the easiest to play. I eventually sold it back to him(for a reasonable price ,I might add), only because I wanted so much to have a Louisiana built one. Secondly, the reads he had used were not top quality. I contemplated re-reading that box, but did not. I now wish that I had kept it. It was a wonderful little box. Slightly smaller dimensions and lighter that any of my LA boxes.

What I hope to do in Montmagny this fall, is to just have fun trying out a variety of Quebecois boxes, and possibly buy one eventually. I love my two Martins,...... will never part with them, but from what I have seen so far, there are many Quebecois builders who very much rival LA builders in quality, but I have noticed that they typically pay more attention to more refined woodwork details. They can often be pieces of woodworking art.

Larry Miller took apart my Boutet box when I was down in LA last, and he was very intrigued by it's construction and it's attention to woodwork detail. I got the sense that builders very much like to see other craftsmen's work, and when they see good techniques used, I'm sure try to adopt them and share them. Maybe that is what these festivals mean most to these builders. They get to frasternize with fellow craftsmen, and share Ideas.

Been wanting to go to Montmagny for a few years. Have not made it yet, but hope to this year or next.

Cheers Maz. I always read your postings......... They are always helpful, and insightful, not to mention entertaining. Hope you get your Bb soon ! You'll never want to put it down.

JL

Re: Re: To J.L. Brunelle:

JL,

Do you know of any photos of these Quebecois boxes on the internet? You got me intrigued now.

Re: Re: Re: To J.L. Brunelle:

hey Brian,

Un petit apercu des accordeons du Quebec.

Salut, Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: To J.L. Brunelle:

Merci Claude, le premiere link il travaille pas pour moi.

Looking at the second link, it looks like Messervier builds his own bellows, or does he just tape his own? I wish I could look at one close up. Looks very similar to a Louisiana one in the pics.

Merci encore, c'est bien interessant.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: To J.L. Brunelle:

Brian ,si ca ne marche pas, fait une recherche sur Raynald Ouellet, click sur Melodeons review, with Melodeons.net et voila!, tu l'auras.

Salut.

Québécois builders

Salut J.L. I think we met in Halifax (you fly)?

Speaking of builders, I did meet a few at the Memramcook fest two weeks ago. Robert Boutet was there, Laurencio Beaudin, and a few other top players and builders. I too, was impressed by the quality of boxes displayed. Prices range between $2k - $2.5K Cdn. I still prefer the Cajun craftmanship.

Re: Québécois builders

Oh, mon doux Jesus,

C'est un peu comme si tu comparais les torchons et les serviettes .

L'amour te rends aveugle, mais cela, nous arrive ,a tous, de temps en temps, on oublie ses racines,son patrimoine, amoureux que nos sommes d'une nouvelle passion.

Mais tu est pardonne, car je suis aussi , comme tant d'autres avant toi, passe par la.

Enfin .

PS: Excuse l'absence des accents, quelque qu'ils soit , car je n'ait pas encre installe leur programme sur mon nouveau ordinateur.

Re: Re: Québécois builders

Hé, comme on dit, "Les goûts, ça se discute pas"... :-)

Re: Re: Re: Québécois builders

Re: Re: Re: Re: Québécois builders

Yes Maz, I fly,...... and you were gracious to spend some time with me last year. I hardly make it to Halifax. When I first met you my reportoire was minuscule, and I was hesitant to play for others. I'm still a shy, quiet sort but my reportoire is a bit more respectable now

Cheers,

JL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Québécois builders

Salut, j'ai bien pensé que c'était toi JL. Laisse-moi savoir la prochaine fois que tu vols par ici.
Ciao...:-)

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!