Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: They left out Creole music

Just my two cents, but I really don't think too many musicians would change their music in order to go for a Grammy. I just can't see that happening. They may update their music or whatever for lots of reasons, but not for the sake of a Grammy.

It's really not as if having a Grammy category makes your music any more respectable to the general population. What does the general population think of polka or bluegrass, which have had a category for a while now? Exactly. They are still put down, even though the musicianship is pretty good. It's only a matter of pride to people who like polka and bluegrass, or in this case Cajun and Zydeco music. It could have just as easily been Cajun, Creole, and Zydeco music, which is how I will think of it, but there you have it.

Actually, Cajun, Creole, and Zydeco music are too unknown to the general population to be put down like polka. Only by the natives, ironically!

Somebody above said that the winner will be either Cajun or Zydeco, or mixed, but not necessarily mixed. That's probably true.

Though it didn't come out this year, Chris Miller and Bayou Roots mixed the two on their fine cd.

The CFMAs will continue to be the more prestigious award, at least for Cajun music.

They left out Creole music ... but wait... that's Keith Richards doing Cajun!

Is there politics in music? Nah! Never.. could'nt possibly be.... or could it?

What band or artist would not jocky for some sort of political grammy nomination on a new genre segment such as this? Ok I get it (?)...

So, get ready Keith Richards! Yo Keith man, picture moss dripping down from an old majestic oak near a scum covered bayou teaming with turtles and gators. Ya get the image there Keithy(?), and now then Keith, toss in some of those bull frog sounds from your funky guitar dude, while you spike a needle in that twig of an arm and call it getting high on Cajun!

Sons and daughters of the good ole South; Looky here Cuz, it may not be a Louisiana bred band (or even a coveted neighbor) that walks away with a grammy prize hinging on your heritage or culture. Too bad so sad, but come back next year bro. and try again.
Louisiana my friend, you are just too much on the outside edge of the social universe to serve such a marketing strategy as a grammy award. Why? (u may wonder)... for reason of the soft sided versions which you are accustom too... Perhaps too rooted, too down to earth, perhaps too much salt of the earth? Son, it may not be trendy enough for the masses as we know it, not in it's current format/style.

So...Throw some junk beads and give us that Rock'n French-A-Billy infused Grunge with a twist of Blusey Southern vibe and a dab of Rick Wakemans journey to the center of the earth, so that we can attach it to some commercial value and call it Gumbo... better yet, we'll call it Cajun, Yeah Baby. We need a sales sound for when it comes to the American gumbo-ized stew that McDonalds intends to sale as an alternative organic food (to accompany the seasoned frys and cajun chicken samich, naturally) !

Otherwise COOL, Go Grammy... and ask your Mammy! What!? What No Creole?? Where's that Creole stuff? So this is French music eh? Hummmm, bub you aint seen or heard nothing yet....cause the kids'll love it (in an altered state, mind ya) as they tell ya that other stuff ya know as Cajun, is crap ..... and the old dogs, what about them old dogs? Well the old dogs will ask.... Holy Mother Mary...where in Crissakes name did we go wrong Chere? And the winner is.... Madonna, for her version of the back door.

They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Did they leave out Creole music? Actually, I don't think that they did. It all depends on how you define the terms Zydeco and Cajun.

Depending on the context, these terms can be very broad and inclusive, while in another context they can be more narrow, specific and precise. Since we here know a great deal about these genres, and are able to make fine distinctions between them, we tend to use the more precise meanings of these terms. However, I think the Grammy people were going for the broad, general and more inclusive meaning. In the broader sense, Creole music seems right at home under the category "Zydeco and Cajun" at least to me it does. It is a sub-category.

-David

Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

David... I believe you may be right.

While we know the variations and differences, the phrase "Cajun" would be a collective catch all phrase for what we may as well call "French Music." That would include Cajun, Creole (and La La) as well as Old School / New School contemporary Zydeco. May even be inclussive of Swamp Pop.

Good point David.

Re: Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Yep, like I echo too often, labels dont work in South Louisiana.

I wonder, not knowing anything about the Grammy's, who will be picking? What do they base it on, sales? Heck, even those of us who know and love the music would pick a huge array of different winners if we were judges.

Re: Re: Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Bryan... I understand what ya mean about the labels.
The KISS method may work well for the occasional.. however, this particular league has a much different drummer, when ya boil it down.

Here is what you can bank on:
No matter who the nominees wind up being (no matter who selects them), It will be an ASCAP/BMI artist.

Why? It is a dual sided promotional method of insuring revenue streams across the board for one, and, a requirement for another.

What does this mean to the overall hopefulls?
It means that there will be more syndications, more registrations of entertainment agency applied fees (unionized Possibly), more applied management/promoter interface. Fingers in the pie and yes POLITICS.

This will give just cause for many fine bands to evaluate the consideration criteria for even coming close to being a qualifier. Q. How many play in bands just on this board alone? Q. How many are registered through BMI/ASCAP and are current w/ dues, applied fees and/or agency fees as a band? This in and of itself will be a brand new ball game hinged upon a set of rules that many have not heard of or played towards. And, we have not even touched upon copywrite issues, concerns and laws.

What's your thoughts of this twist??

Re: Re: Re: Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Me thinks Louisiana music (all labels) should go back to the porches, firesides, and dancehalls where it is peacefully at home and appreciated and leave all the politics and trophies to the glitter and glam. Mais ça c'est juste moi.

Re: Re: Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Okay, check it... how many categories would you devise for south Louisiana music? Let's exclude New Orleans -- just "Music Of Acadiana"... let's just fantasize here... I think there should be 10 new categories added to the Grammy list rather than the umbrella for one.

Traditional Cajun
Cajun Rock
Cajun Pop
Cajun Country
Swamp Pop
ZydeCajun
Traditional Creole/Zydeco (including all those jure bands!)
Nouveau Zydeco
Country Zydeco
Urban Zydeco

There.... that's more like it!

And as a lil' lagniappe, we could have the following "Best Of" series within the Acadiana Genre...

"Best 2-Step."
"Best waltz."
"Best boucherie soundtrack."
"Best crawfish ball release."
"Best fishing song."
"Best festival encore."
"Best buckle-polishing slow dance ballad."
"Best tailgate party soundtrack."
"Best booty-clappin' track."

Had enough?

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Pretty good Rick... but ya missed OOFIN and EEFIN as part of it.

Hummmm do you realize Bro., you may be getting a gob of fins flipped your way for showcasing some spin time for this category by certain artists....eh ? Say... Who's your daddy on the air waves of the metro plex, dishing up all that Louisianne vibe on acount'a we wanna know... eh? Rick U Da Man

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Dat's good Wit! Ya know the funny thing is -- I still have to purchase 99% of the music I spin. Course ya know I don't mind helping bands out... But zydeco is my bag on the Dallas airwaves -- and also on every stage that wants it live as well.

Oofin' along brutha, 'cuz that's what I'm reppin', dawg!

R!CK aka T-Richard

A little bit of context - who has won already?

Just to throw a couple more things into the pot for consideration.

There have already been at least two Grammies awarded to Zydeco/Cajun artists. They were Clifton Chenier and Queen Ida. This happened back in the 80's, and I think they were lumped into some non-descipt "folk" category.

I understand some of the misgivings that have been expressed about the new category, and how it might be exploited. However, if the new category had existed then, I think we can be darn sure that Clifton and Ida would have been given their awards in that category rather than in "folk". Perhaps we can gain some reassurances from that?

-David

Re: A little bit of context - who has won already?

Beausoleil also won a "folk" Grammy for L'Amour ou La Folie.

JtO

Re: Re: A little bit of context - who has won already?

Yes, I knew I was forgetting one, and that it was more on the Cajun side of the spectrum. I meant to ask if someone knew what it was. Thanks!

-David

Re: Re: A little bit of context - who has won already?

I believe Steve Riley was also nominated once or twice.

Re: Re: Re: A little bit of context - who has won already?

I know that SR was nominated for Bon Reve and maybe for another album, but he's never won.

To me, the fact that SR did not win is reason enough why we need a category of our own.

Rockin' Sidney got one too.

I forgot about Rockin' Sidney - he got a Grammy in 1985.

-David

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!