Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Reason for concern about accordions in salty humid air.

Bruce,
No question is "stupid". Your reeds are steel. Guess what happens to steel when exposed to a salt air environment?
Yep, they'll rust up in a heart beat. The closer to the beech you are, the worse it is for your reeds.
You can play indoors with no problem. I have a very good friend who played a gig at Holly Beech once, a long time ago. Within a month, his reeds were ruined and had to be replaced.
Hope that gives you some info to consider.
Jude Moreau

Re: Re: Reason for concern about accordions in salty humid air.

Jude,

You're right there on Sabine Lake and Danny Dyson is right there on Big Lake. Those are both salt marsh environments.Like you say, don't leave them outside too long. I have taken my Le Capitaine down to Rockport many times, with never a problem yet, but I admit that I would have second thoughts about taking it right down to the Gulf Beach, cause that air is loaded with brine. Danny said that he kept one in his bathroom, right next to the shower, for a year, just to test how moisture affected the mechanisms. No problems. Just have to use a little caution. You're right though, if you don't think salt won't eat right through steel, be it galvanized or stainless, just take a look at my boat trailer.
JB

Re: Reason for concern about accordions in salty humid air.

Has Danny stopped building? I know he had more important things to tend to. He hasn't renewed his web address. My LE Capitaine is still cranking it out.
He made good boxes that us beginners could afford.

Craig

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!