Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: eBay Morelli vs. handmade

Beware of the guy in the first link, as Dana informed. Just the guy. The accordion might be another matter. I had a Morelli 3-row that was not bad for the price, but gave off a chemical smell from the bellows, so I sold it. Not sure how their one-row is.

This guy will not answer questions before a sale. You have to buy, and pay shipping if you're not satisified.

So much for his Christian symbols on his site.

I bought a Morelli on ebay from the "Great Tunes" people in Idaho. I thought it compared favorably to my Hohner 114. It is heavier, comes with a functional case and shoulder strap. Tone was good (in fact I think the bass sounded better than the Hohner). The thumb strap and bass strap on the Morelli were also heavier than on the Hohner. Didn't play it long enough to be able to comment on its durability, but I think you might have a good time with it. The weird thing is that the stops were backwards. You pull them out to close them. They worked fine though. The Morelli certainly looks great.
One word of caution, the rods for the stops seem to be wood and might break easily, but since you would play with all of them "pushed In", it is probably not a problem.

I had forgotten that the guy at Great Tunes was really bad about answering questions. Also, watch their restocking fee. If you return it they will not only not refund shipping, but may deduct a restocking fee. But since you are paying less than $$ with shipping, it isn't a bad deal. I think the Morelli is probably worth the money. You might, however, be better off buying a used Hohner HA114 for the same money, then save your cash for a better box later on.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!