Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Bryan... I understand what ya mean about the labels.
The KISS method may work well for the occasional.. however, this particular league has a much different drummer, when ya boil it down.

Here is what you can bank on:
No matter who the nominees wind up being (no matter who selects them), It will be an ASCAP/BMI artist.

Why? It is a dual sided promotional method of insuring revenue streams across the board for one, and, a requirement for another.

What does this mean to the overall hopefulls?
It means that there will be more syndications, more registrations of entertainment agency applied fees (unionized Possibly), more applied management/promoter interface. Fingers in the pie and yes POLITICS.

This will give just cause for many fine bands to evaluate the consideration criteria for even coming close to being a qualifier. Q. How many play in bands just on this board alone? Q. How many are registered through BMI/ASCAP and are current w/ dues, applied fees and/or agency fees as a band? This in and of itself will be a brand new ball game hinged upon a set of rules that many have not heard of or played towards. And, we have not even touched upon copywrite issues, concerns and laws.

What's your thoughts of this twist??

Re: Re: Re: Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Me thinks Louisiana music (all labels) should go back to the porches, firesides, and dancehalls where it is peacefully at home and appreciated and leave all the politics and trophies to the glitter and glam. Mais ça c'est juste moi.

Re: Re: Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Okay, check it... how many categories would you devise for south Louisiana music? Let's exclude New Orleans -- just "Music Of Acadiana"... let's just fantasize here... I think there should be 10 new categories added to the Grammy list rather than the umbrella for one.

Traditional Cajun
Cajun Rock
Cajun Pop
Cajun Country
Swamp Pop
ZydeCajun
Traditional Creole/Zydeco (including all those jure bands!)
Nouveau Zydeco
Country Zydeco
Urban Zydeco

There.... that's more like it!

And as a lil' lagniappe, we could have the following "Best Of" series within the Acadiana Genre...

"Best 2-Step."
"Best waltz."
"Best boucherie soundtrack."
"Best crawfish ball release."
"Best fishing song."
"Best festival encore."
"Best buckle-polishing slow dance ballad."
"Best tailgate party soundtrack."
"Best booty-clappin' track."

Had enough?

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Pretty good Rick... but ya missed OOFIN and EEFIN as part of it.

Hummmm do you realize Bro., you may be getting a gob of fins flipped your way for showcasing some spin time for this category by certain artists....eh ? Say... Who's your daddy on the air waves of the metro plex, dishing up all that Louisianne vibe on acount'a we wanna know... eh? Rick U Da Man

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Dat's good Wit! Ya know the funny thing is -- I still have to purchase 99% of the music I spin. Course ya know I don't mind helping bands out... But zydeco is my bag on the Dallas airwaves -- and also on every stage that wants it live as well.

Oofin' along brutha, 'cuz that's what I'm reppin', dawg!

R!CK aka T-Richard

A little bit of context - who has won already?

Just to throw a couple more things into the pot for consideration.

There have already been at least two Grammies awarded to Zydeco/Cajun artists. They were Clifton Chenier and Queen Ida. This happened back in the 80's, and I think they were lumped into some non-descipt "folk" category.

I understand some of the misgivings that have been expressed about the new category, and how it might be exploited. However, if the new category had existed then, I think we can be darn sure that Clifton and Ida would have been given their awards in that category rather than in "folk". Perhaps we can gain some reassurances from that?

-David

Re: A little bit of context - who has won already?

Beausoleil also won a "folk" Grammy for L'Amour ou La Folie.

JtO

Re: Re: A little bit of context - who has won already?

Yes, I knew I was forgetting one, and that it was more on the Cajun side of the spectrum. I meant to ask if someone knew what it was. Thanks!

-David

Re: Re: A little bit of context - who has won already?

I believe Steve Riley was also nominated once or twice.

Re: Re: Re: A little bit of context - who has won already?

I know that SR was nominated for Bon Reve and maybe for another album, but he's never won.

To me, the fact that SR did not win is reason enough why we need a category of our own.

Rockin' Sidney got one too.

I forgot about Rockin' Sidney - he got a Grammy in 1985.

-David

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!