Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: They left out Creole music? Not necessarily.

Dat's good Wit! Ya know the funny thing is -- I still have to purchase 99% of the music I spin. Course ya know I don't mind helping bands out... But zydeco is my bag on the Dallas airwaves -- and also on every stage that wants it live as well.

Oofin' along brutha, 'cuz that's what I'm reppin', dawg!

R!CK aka T-Richard

A little bit of context - who has won already?

Just to throw a couple more things into the pot for consideration.

There have already been at least two Grammies awarded to Zydeco/Cajun artists. They were Clifton Chenier and Queen Ida. This happened back in the 80's, and I think they were lumped into some non-descipt "folk" category.

I understand some of the misgivings that have been expressed about the new category, and how it might be exploited. However, if the new category had existed then, I think we can be darn sure that Clifton and Ida would have been given their awards in that category rather than in "folk". Perhaps we can gain some reassurances from that?

-David

Re: A little bit of context - who has won already?

Beausoleil also won a "folk" Grammy for L'Amour ou La Folie.

JtO

Re: Re: A little bit of context - who has won already?

Yes, I knew I was forgetting one, and that it was more on the Cajun side of the spectrum. I meant to ask if someone knew what it was. Thanks!

-David

Re: Re: A little bit of context - who has won already?

I believe Steve Riley was also nominated once or twice.

Re: Re: Re: A little bit of context - who has won already?

I know that SR was nominated for Bon Reve and maybe for another album, but he's never won.

To me, the fact that SR did not win is reason enough why we need a category of our own.

Rockin' Sidney got one too.

I forgot about Rockin' Sidney - he got a Grammy in 1985.

-David

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!