Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hey Jude...Or anybody else with accordion repair experience

No , you won't hurt anything to continue playing. In fact, I don't think there is really anything wrong with the reed. As I understand what you're saying is happening: if you hold the bass button in , and sound the reeds until you completely run out of bellow, you hear at least one reed continue to viberate. Is that correct? If so, it is most likely the large basson bass reed. This reed is very large and the tunge of the reed is "heavey" , so once it gets moving, it will continue to viberate for a short time after the air pressure is stopped.
You probably don't notice it when you're playing in a natural state because when playing naturally, you will let off of the bass button when you stop.
If you hold the button open when you stop the bellow action, it's like squeezing the handle on the garden hose, after you've closed the water valve. Water continues to come out the nozzle until the the pressure bleeds off.
Make any since at all ????
Jude Moreau

Re: Re: Hey Jude...Or anybody else with accordion repair experience

Jude,
You're understanding me correctly, and what you say makes sense.

When I've played other handmades in the past, I've never held the bass and emptied the bellows (and it isn't something I'd really try to do anyway), so the rattle isn't something I've encountered before.

Thanks for the wisdom.
Jude

Re: Hey Jude...Or anybody else with accordion repair experience

Newton's law of motion.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!