Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wayne Toups

Back from where / what?

Re: Re: Wayne Toups-Maybe he is back from this?...

The Independent Staff | 6/29/2005

TOUPS PLEADS GUILTY TO DISTRIBUTION OF COCAINE

Popular singer and accordionist Wayne Toups pled guilty to distribution of cocaine last week in Lake Charles federal court and faces a maximum of 20 years in jail and a fine of up to $1 million, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. The plea stems from Toups’ arrest in May 2000 for distributing .91 grams of cocaine. Reached by phone, Toups declined comment and said he would be issuing a statement at a later date. He referred questions to his attorney, who did not respond to a call by press time. A representative of the U.S. Attorney’s Office said Toups’ sentencing date was not yet scheduled. — SJ

Re: Re: Re: Wayne Toups-Maybe he is back from this?...

From what I heard Harry Choates was worse into drink than Wayne was into coke. Too bad, he's got this cross, but he's still one hell of an artist.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wayne Toups-Maybe he is back from this?...

I found this link recently; I'm hoping to see him in Gonzales, LA in July.

Re: Re: Re: Wayne Toups-Maybe he is back from this?...

Ok,
Is our legal system slow or what?
The charge was in 2000, he cops a plea in 2007, and sentencing is not yet even scheduled...? :(
-DP

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wayne Toups-Maybe he is back from this?...

Yeah, that's weird. Maybe it's a new charge? Where in the world is the Cajun Gossip Press when you need it?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wayne Toups-Maybe he is back from this?...

On wayne's myspace there is a show listed for september 15 at coyboys. 10 p.m.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wayne Toups-Maybe he is back from this?...

Busted for less than a gram??? Heck, we used to spill that much at gigs in the 70s... -L-

So now he can sing DL Menard's famous J'ai passé par la porte d'en arrière!

So now he can sing DL Menard's famous song:

Je suis r'tourné au village, j'me suis mis dans l'tracas
La loi m'a ramassé, j'suis r'tourné en prison
On va passer par la porte d'en arrière...

Re: So now he can sing DL Menard's famous J'ai passé par la porte d'en arrière!

He will be out on 9/13/07 and plays his first gig on 9/15/07, had to serve 10 months... From what I understand he's going to come out ready to go !

Re: Re: So now he can sing DL Menard's famous J'ai passé par la porte d'en arrière!

Better than 20 years!
(course he ain't no Paris hilton neither )

Re: Re: So now he can sing DL Menard's famous J'ai passé par la porte d'en arrière!

Thanks Rusty for the info. That sounds about right. I have no doubt that he will be better than ever, yea you right.

Re: Re: Re: So now he can sing DL Menard's famous J'ai passé par la porte d'en arrière!

Honestly, I couldn't think of anyone else I'd wanna share a cell with. Okay, diggit... I'm in jail, let's say for X amount ot fime and I'm a Bravenet junkie... Okay.... So then I get picked up on a "mittered" corner charge -- of like not having the correct angle on my box face or something. And then I get assigned to my new home and cell mate and ... (check it out) IT'S WAYNE F****ING TOUPS!!! I mean, how lucky and HOW COOL is THAT!?!?!?! I'd be driving him absoulely insane EVERY DAY with accordion related questions! Wouldn't you too?! Hullo... I'd be like... "dude, how'd you know that Walter Mouton was tha sh...t?" And also, "How did Polygram pick up Fish? And where was MTE at this time?" And, "So what was the deal between yuh and Lagneaux?!" "Did yuh like the Hammond B3 thing... I mean, really...?"

Yeah, I'd probably drive him nuts...

Re: Re: Re: Re: So now he can sing DL Menard's famous J'ai passé par la porte d'en arrière!

Yes Rick, after that experience He'd probably be scared so sh-tless that he'd never snort another line again.
H

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So now he can sing DL Menard's famous J'ai passé par la porte d'en arrière!

I know I'm often goofier than a wooden wristwatch, but I always try to see the silver lining to every dark cloud. S'all good in da hood... Wayne will always be my box-playing hero.

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!