Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chinese-made would be the answer

I started with an Ariette, too. But if mine was representative of Chinese boxes overall, it just leaks too much air to attempt songs with a disproportionate number of pushes or pulls. And as someone pointed out on another thread, mine couldn't talk and breathe at the same time.

That's why I was wondering about the cost of souping-up a Chinese box. Would it be cheaper to go that route or to go with DP's idea of making nice, tight, and simple boxes from scratch?

Why not a Cajun Music Program?

Just random thoughts here....why not a Cajun Music Program to complement the French Immersion program? Students could learn about the music and history and learn the various instruments. Someone with the right know-how could probably get grant money similar to the French Immersion program we have in our schools here.

Megan

Re: Why not a Cajun Music Program?

Someone with a dealers license or whatnot could possibly get "Morelli" type in bulk? To sell them at $170.00 they must get a good deal on them to start with? A search turned up the above link.

Megan,
That's exactly what I was thinking of. If I remember correctly, Dewey Balfa received a Music-in-the-Schools grant from the National Endowment for the Arts (or was it the Humanities?).

There are certainly more technicalities with a music program (namely instruments, for one) than with a language program, but a Cajun Music Program would certainly complement the French immersion programs going on in SW LA schools.

Jude

I suppose there are kids that have the patience for history and immersion. I also suspect there are kids that have the drive and determination to learn accordion for the long haul..... I just don't know if there are many kids that can sit still long enough to learn history, immersion and accordion without all the heebee jeebees and boredom setting in, do an about face and then change their mind and direction of interest. I have seen it dozens of times, so beware.... it just seems natural for a normal kid.

Give them a HERO accordion and show them that it can be played. If they stick with it more than sixty days and the parents don't find it laying around in the far corners of the yard for the dog to chew on .. then perhaps, just perhaps they may be prime for something better (who can say?). Then you can start to nurture that interest a little more. Now if they have a huge protruding forehead and a knowledge bump the size of a turkey egg, that may be differant, hell get em a Martin accordion, a chemistry set, French lessons and immersion classes right out of the gate.

Kids are funny, sometimes in an expensive sorta way. My wannabe anesthesiologist (shucks I can't even spell it) doctor son soaked me good, and consequently wound up working for the railroad (which is ok by me, he grew up to be a cool guy and great dad)...but all that money for privet college prep and this and that, could have bought a gob of accordions. We are spending his inheritance now and I am only leaving him the accordions when I kick out while the other one (that never expected anything but hand-me-downs) will reap the whirlwind with all the tangeables.

Let kids be kids, cause that's what they are... don't get over pricy on those "I Wants" and they will be just fine. Realize they may change direction a dozen times before they learn to shave and you'll be fine as well. 2cents from'a been there done that sorta thing. bon chance

Re: Accordions for Tots

Thats an awesome idea. I used to play in an old time band in the mts. of NC. The woman that taught me clawhammer banjo was from the Grayson Highlands area of Va. She also taught guitar,fiddle, dulcimer, bass fiddle and banjo in the Mt. Rogers school. The schools band program was not the horn tootin drum bangin band you think about but rather all the tradional instruments of the area. The program is packed. The kids are very enthusiastic about learning the music and also learning the history that goes along with it.
As far as getting the instruments, I got my China box from an ebay dealer that I think is in the area down there. They always have boxes on ebay and am wondering if they would do a "make just a couple of bucks per unit" deal to help the cause. Email me if you want the ebay dealers name.
Good luck with such a worthwhile project.
Greg

Re: Accordions for Tots

Since you are in the area, and know him, you might try to contact Barry Ancelet. I heard him express interest in doing just this, not the renting part, but teaching local kids local music. At least he has good contacts.

As far as the Hohners go, seems like retuning them is not so big a deal, and they sound pretty darn good retuned. I like this idea a lot. I strongly feel the best way to promote interest in our culture is through the music.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!