Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: can you swap the reeds from one Martin to another Martin?

While Gregg is correct that the c reeds are longer, the c reed blocks will need a minor modification and then thet should be fine. Just need to shorten the blocks a bit. This due to the fact that you are downsizing the reeds.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: can you swap the reeds from one Martin to another Martin?

To change C reeds to D you don´t need to change the reed blocks at all. The D reeds fit. I've had it done to an old C Martin, that needed a few replacement reeds anyway. You have to have it done by a professional though. Don´t try it yourself. The reeds have to be retuned and waxed.

/Gunnar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: can you swap the reeds from one Martin to another Martin?

Gunnar, the other way around could give problems. C reeds on a D block (like mentioned before) But if Martin (when asked) would state that he uses the same blocks (why not?), I think there is no problem. Only the screws should be put in another place (if screwed and waxed).
I once let my Antonelli C reeds put in place of a D box There was no problem at all, but maybe Antonellis are slightly smaller (and stronger too) than the others which were inside (but I don't know the brand).

Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: can you swap the reeds from one Martin to another Martin?

Some brands may be switched over if they are close to the same size. But if you have an accordion that has reed blocks fitted and sized for the reeds it was built for or real tall reeds you won't get good rusults and you are still going to need a complete tuning. So cost wise it may not be worth the expense. Then different brands may be way too tall or too short to switch.

more info on why...and thanks for the replies

Hey braves,
Here's the deal. I have a superfine Martin D painted white with purple flappers and the crawdaddy on the bellows. I really rarely play it. I also have a Martin C box in nice maple(I actually have it as a backup to my Miller C box and don't play it much either). I thought I might be able to switch out REED BLOCKS easily and start using the Martin to play out gigs with. I know it is somewhat of a vanity deal, but what the heck...it does look rather stunning. I bought it from one the guys on our brave site a couple years ago. I guess Geno has one like it. BTW, thanks for the replies.
Kirk Jones

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!