Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: phonetic sound for lyrics

That's right, John. :) She has her degree in French from Mary Baldwin and lived in France and Switzerland as a teenager.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: phonetic sound for lyrics

I created a Cajun French pronunciation guide with audio files that could help you get the hang of vowel and vowel cluster sounds. Check out Link #1.

---Roy---

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: phonetic sound for lyrics

Yes and that LSU Frencj Studies site lets you llook up words in a glossary and hear then pronounced on-line. About's Anne,s accent I am corrected!
her accent must have changed alot.

Re: phonetic sound for lyrics

George, as far as learning to sing a Cajun song, here's what worked for me. Look in Ann's book for the song you want to learn, and then locate that particular version. For example, if you're wanting to learn Love Bridge Waltz, you'll find the lyrics in Ann's book in the section on Iry LeJeune. Get yourself an Iry CD (try Cajun's Greatest - The Definitive Collection) and listen to his version, which is sung exactly as Ann has it written. This gives you something to follow, so you can read the phoenetics and practice singing along with the recording. It's worked, and has helped not only with learning to sing the song, but with speaking and understanding some of the language as well. At this point, I could probably converse fairly effectively in Cajun French - as long as we were talking about love, misery or drinking!

Re: Re: phonetic sound for lyrics

Chere, cajuns don't talk about love they just take positive action!!!

Re: Re: phonetic sound for lyrics

>as long as we were talking about love, misery or drinking!

Okay, that's one subject...

Re: phonetic sound for lyrics

Okay, one subject. And better to sing about it than talk about it!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!