Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Pic of a Cajun King Gabbanelli

They're also available in several different colors.

Also, if you do change the plastic stops for wooden ones, and replace the plastic caps ( at both ends of the treble board) for brass or wooden ones, you would have a pretty good facsimile Cajun box. Well, not far off anyways.

I'm sure Jr, would sell you 4 wooden stops and the end metalor wooden blocks you can make yourself.

Just a though.

No mitters though.

Re: Re: Re: Pic of a Cajun King Gabbanelli

Plastic stops??? My Gabb King has brass stops. I think the plastic pearl buttons and the plastic pearl end covers look pretty good.

The King does not come with strap brackets, but Mike will put them on for about $10.

Dare I admit that I got mine from Mike off ebay, direct from the factory and paid only $675.00 plus shipping ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pic of a Cajun King Gabbanelli

mmm that's a very good price you got...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pic of a Cajun King Gabbanelli

Quite right, the stops are metal.

Also, your Gabb, has some attributes that most LA boxes don't have namely:
Despite the "absence" of mitters, John, judiciously, or I think it was his deceased dad whom asked his builders to use corner brackets wide enough to "cover" the butt joints offending cross grain on the all the frame corners,
Also, the "logo" design on the end plates is not partially "hidden" as it's the case on most LA built boxes, that is the decorative floral motif beeing somewhat "buried" beind the treble board thickness.
And "finally" I just love the fact that the long " dadoed" grooves on the sides of the frames , STOP before each corners.

Why, do I love it, well, for the only reason, that the metal corners don't show any space under them, they rest as they should on a flat surface, not "bumpy"
Cosmetics, like hell, good design, off course.
That's why I love "Falcon" boxes.

Would I buy a Gabb, ,yes as a second or distant second, if I was say into Zydeco music heavily, and needed something different, "funky" like.

But would I show up at one of Marc Savoy sporting a colored Gabb, not a chance, not withstanding the fact, that i'm probably because of my views on box building "personna non grata" there:)

But if I can spring some 700 bucks for a Gabb, I "know" that I can eventually find the rest to buy an LA made one.

SoI would try to buy an LA box before that with off course some "attributes" I like.

Claude.

Re: the fine points of a LA made box

I used to be into fine woodworking (Used to be?...hey a guy can't do everything) and I do appreciate the details in hand work of every kind. That is one of the reasons I use Leica cameras. I take all of your comments about the Gabbanelli to heart, Claude, and plan on saving my pennies to eventually buy an LA box. In the mean time, I needed something "better" than a Hohner 114 to learn with and happened to get a great deal on the Gabbanelli. I doubt I would have paid the full retail for one. Because I know that I could have found a used Acadian, Miller, Bon Ton, or (prayers come true) a Point Noir for not too much more. Hell, I have a Leica asperical 24mm lens that cost me $2400 used! I am not reluctant to pay for quality.

You think the people at the Saturday morning jam at Savoy Music would turn me away with my Gabb? Hmmm. Maybe I need to talk to Mr. Martin.

Re: Re: the fine points of a LA made box

They wouldn't turn you away, me they will, fer shure .

Re: Re: Re: the fine points of a LA made box

That would be silly and snobish.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!