Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maurice Barzas and the Mamou Playboys recordings

I was lucky to be able to pick up a 2 cd set of Maurice Barzas and the Mamou Playboys last weekend while visiting Marc Savoy's store in Eunice. It was recorded live over the years, at Snooks in Ville
Platte on some non-professional equipment. Recorded in the 60s and 70s by Vorance Barzas and in 1984 by Tina Pilione.

Maurice Barzas: accordion
Vorance Barzas: drums and vocals
Lee Manuel, Roy Fontenot, Allen Ardoin, Tina Pilione: fiddle
(individually, not together)
Allen West, Lee Manuel, Kevin Barzas: guitar

Tina Pilione did a nice job compiling these and making some notes.

"...Elise Deshotel, a guitar player from Basile with his wife on drums, formed a band with Dewey Balfa and Rodney Balfa and Maurice on accordion. The group, known as Elise Deshotel and the Louisiana
Rhythmaires, played around the Lake Charles and Creole area and made three 78 records at KSLO in Opelousas, all on the Khoury label....Maurice played with this group through about 1951 but also formed the Mamou Playboys during that time....

...During this heyday of Cajun music, the Mamou Playboys played every night of the week. Saturday afternoon would start with a live radio show at KVPI in Ville Platte from 4-5 pm, then Saturday night
at Snook's in Ville Platte 8-12. They would leave from there and play at the Hick's Wagon Wheel in L'Anse au Paille 1-4 am. Sunday afternoon they were at the Avalon Club and that night at the Rainbow
Club in Basile. At that time there were no less than 5 dancehalls on the highway in Basile: AJs Lounge, The Rainbow Club, Quincy's Lounge, The Bearcat, and The Avalon. They played in Mamou on Wednesday nights and Oakdale on Monday nights. There was a big
demand for Cajun music and very few bands..."

Re: Maurice Barzas and the Mamou Playboys recordings

****.....Another must have for me. Neal, do you realize how much money you've cost me over the last year or two?

Re: Re: Maurice Barzas and the Mamou Playboys recordings

I got the first CD a couple of weeks ago and will get the second next weekend when I go back. Good stuff- just like a dancehall band is supposed to sound. No bull****.

Re: Re: Re: Maurice Barzas and the Mamou Playboys recordings

You right! How come more people don't play the LuLu Boogie? Etc....Too bad I missed you at Marc's by a couple of weekends.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!