Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: 200 or so Bucks!

I've heard that myturd corner boxes are easier to play and can make a beginner advance to an intermediate level in a quarter of the time than a box with booty joints. It all has to do with feng shui, and if a quality hardwood is used, the harmonic energy of the wood transforms directly into chakra -- your hands will become stronger and muscle-memory will become aligned with your inner-soul. Now this is not something I know of, firsthand -- just read about somewhere. I have observed that the players using myturd corners are definitely far more talented, especially when playing turnarounds and bridges. I need to go check to see what kinds of joints I gots. BRB...

R!CK

Re: 200 or so Bucks!

Dear Mr. Miter,

"Tradition needs no logic or reason to be so."

In other words, do not try to use a logical argument, or logical reasoning to try to change somthing that is steeped in tradition. It ain't gonna happen.

Would you ask someone to "square-off" one of those "crooked" traditional songs that have chords in different places, and odd numbers of beats because it would make the song "better" and more "solidly constructed"?

Best of luck in your quest!

Should we start calling you " Don Quijote de la Mancha"?

(Not to worry, my tongue is in my cheek

My triple row doesn't have any corners

Well sir, if you can get someone to build you a box with mitered corners, then good...go for it. If it was that important to the players, the builders would be cutting miters until the cows came home. Besides demand, there is tradition. I urge you to visit Marc Savoy or Junior Martin with your "must-have-miters" demands and tell us what their reaction is. I can almost lay money on what Marc's reaction will be.

Really, I don't see the miter issue as a big deal. I want something that sounds good, that's it. Looks come next. You should see my beat-up old Recording King guitar. Disassembled and found in pieces in a pawn shop, parts of the guitar were filthy when I found it...but (even with a crazy bolt-on, adjustable neck) - the tone, oooh baby!

Rob K.

Hey, what's Claude going to do when the first guy does hand-cut dovetails on the corners of his box. And what the hell does he have against end-grain? It can add a very nice decorative touch. Just look at some issues of "Fine Woodworking" magazine. Rabbeted box joints are just fine with me and are in no way a sign of inferior workmanship.

Re: Re: Re: 200 or so Bucks!

Hey, my Hohner 114 has mitered corners, does that make it a superior box, I don't think so.

oh that old (mitered) saw

Think you can settle this arguement with quotes from two different movies.
Bet a dime, bet a dime.
and
Syrup on the table.
Now wasn't that easy?
Steve

Re: oh that old (mitered) saw

I think you all petrified of Big Bad Mark .

Claude.

Re: Re: oh that old (mitered) saw

Not afeared ah nobody. But the arguement reminds me of Waiting For Godgot. Doesn't really go anywhere, gets feathers ruffled, and since it's all a matter of opinion and preference, it's akin to telling someone that no, your favorite color is green, not red. Now, who's got a beer they can spare?
Steve

Re: Re: Re: oh that old (mitered) saw

HeeHOO! HA! I gotta Keystone right here fer ya. I'm on a budget since I'm tying the knot necks weekend (in Lake Charles). Savin' all my beer monies for the honeymoon down in Bequia. I hear they've got a beer called, Haroun. Gonna see if it lives up to the name. [whoaa duuuude... check it ouuuuut...]

But seriously, what's all this mud over mit-t-t-t-tred corners, anyway? I'm here to tell ya that pearl/plastic buttons are lame. Metal buttons are the way to go. So for all those builders stickin' plastique/polyethylene or mollusk buttons on their boxes, I gots a beef wit'cha! Put yer dukes up and let's git it on!

Well, that's not to say I don't own a Hohner and a Falcon with plastique buttons, BUT THAT'S NOT THA POINT.

What's the point again? Ah... yes... beer. Keystone really isn't bad for the price.

*hic!*

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: oh that old (mitered) saw

Rick, you made a great contribution, but concerning the buttons, read this:
metal buttons disturb the magnetic field when you play in the wrong rythm, Rick. Unless you play in a Faraday cage, but then Feng shui doesn't work anymore.
Flowers on each corner is real Feng. Does Falcon engrave them? . Must be hard playing, then..
Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: oh that old (mitered) saw

I've taken a lot of the external static electrical field stuff into consideration. I found that inserting dimes (one in each ear) cancels the magnitude of electrons that disturb the magnetic arrays. As far as the flower equation... well no. There's no work around. But playing with a Benjamin in my pocket not only symbolizes our father of electricity -- it also is a good night's pay.

Not dat's sum feng, baby!

R!CK

Re: Re: oh that old (mitered) saw

Dang it! Oh dude... yuh dun dun it now. Sarah's gonna drop in an' kick ya!

(I still have bruises on my shins.)

And, in the future, try these handy grammatical compliances when referring "He who must not be named":

"you all petrified" can be:

1) you are all
2) you should be
3) y'all all are just
4) y'all all just should be
5) all of the above

Keep America Beautiful... Please Do Not Mitter.

R!CK

Keystone! Let's argue about beer. Like accordions, all beer is good beer.

Anyone BBq'ing this weekend?

Craig

Actually, that machine is made by several different manucatures and is readily available in most wood working stores as well as wood working catalogs. I bought mine from Wood Workers Supply for about $200, just as you stated Claud. Yes, does make "perfect" miters.
Jude Moreau

With regards to John's comment. I really like the looks of hand fit dovetails. In my opionion, they are even harder to make than then a good miter.

Most might think they are gawdy but I think they look great and they are very strong.

Still, the builder makes what he thinks is the best for the application.

Still learning,
RPr

Dovetails!
Still the strongest way to attach a neck to a guitar, the Martin way. Done by hand takes real skill.

Tongue-in-Groove
Tongue-in-Cheek
Buy new table router,table saw, mitre saw, planer, band saw, and 12-pack of Keystone Light 16 ouncers, called "pounders" in Castroville, TX, the "Little Alsace of Texas".
Tongue in beer can
Tongue some sawdust
build your **** corners any **** way you want to
Grab shotgun
Shoot some dove---tails
Buy extra 12 pack and some " Parisa" a raw meat, cheese, and onion pate' that Alsatians crave like Cajuns crave boudin
Sit down and play your box, with or without corners.
JB

JB ~ Sounds like you've got the elements of a good song cookin' there. Alsace sounds like a spot to experience! Parisa avec Pounders and some dove to shoot... what a nice mix of Franco-Germanic Texana!

I'm adopting the term, "pounders" and shelving the "tall boy cans of whoop ace."

We gonna have ta hook-up sometime (preferably in dove season!)

BTW, I checked my boxes. They are mitered. Claude is correct. They are sexy.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: 200 or so Bucks!

Let's not start talking about beer, now. That could really cause a ruuuukuccusss.

Now, beer has got to be dark and rich tssting. None of that light crap that looks like pee for me. Give me a Negra Modelo or even better an Anchor Brewing porter.

Hey, you got a tune to go with that?

Try a lighter colored Dogfish head 90 minute IPA.
9%. The 120 minute is 20%, but $10 a bottle.
It's all in the malt. No malt, no flavor.

As an amateur beer brewer I'm a stout man- Beamish,Murphys, Heck even a Guiness. Those 'Stones go down good too though! My Mouton box is mitred, but that was not the decision maker for buying it. I personally prefer mitres, but I don't think it makes a working box. If I were to try building my own, I would attempt mitres, but to each his own. Them mitres didn't make me play a great deal better either! Shucks!

Yeah, I like Chimay and Maredsous, but... I can't enjoy the function of drinking them for hours straight -- doing things like limin', fishin', or shootin' pool. AND, as a man, it's also fun to pee several times in the backyard during these activities. A 4-pack of micro-brewed Hoppenschwarter Barking Spider Porter gives me like... one... maybe two shots at my neighbor's dog through the hole in the fence.

Plus, bottled brews just don't have that... you know, that sound when they get opened. "purkSHICKah!" And all those expensive bottled beers aren't twist-offs. They will mangle that stretchy flap of skin between your thumb and index finger -- at least on the first one until you hunt down something to open it with. On the 4th one, you forget it ain't a twist-off and mutilate your hand again.

That's why the cheap, light stuff is so alluring to me, not to mention a 30-pack of 'em costs the same as 12 of the heavy stuff. Plus, it's easier to strap on your buzz unit and do maintenance with the light stuff. I get tangled up with 5%+ malts and wheats and SHAZAAM! I'm off doing freaky stuff in the fish tank -- and not remembering it over breakfast the next day.

Life is complicated in the morning...

R!CK

Ha!Ha!Ha! Yeah I hear that! Dem "Tick" beers are good for sippin and sittin, But I Drink Keystone on a regular basis as my "matainance" brew. I like knowing that I can brew 5 gallons of stout for the price of two sixpacks though.

Fortunately there is a DFH alehouse right around my corner. All draft, some bottles.

Canned beer. Try Dale's Ale from Co.

I will be all grain brewing and BBq'ing this weekend!

Craig (burb)

Boy, you sure can't beat those grain recipies craig! Its true brew, not syrup and sugar! Oh well, they all need to be consumed BBQ and drink a few? That sounds like a winner Those mitre cutters look pretty cool too.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!