Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: What's that smell?

Claude ~ speaking of asking Marc, have you ever called him up and asked him why he doesn't do mitred corners on his accordions? Might be worth a try. At least he might be willing to explain to you why he doesn't.

Re: Re: Re: What's that smell?

I was thinking about this over-night (as if I don't have better things to do) and decided that the thin point of a mitered corner might actually be for fragile and prone to chips than a squared box joint.

But hey, I've been wrong before.

Re: Re: Re: Re: What's that smell?

John,

I would agree with you, except the corners butted or otherwise are protected by the metal corners.

Kindly, Claude.

John Fine you are wrong again.

Joanie,

I've asked the man years ago, while ordering one of his boxes.

Never replied, never aknowledged my query.

We spoke in French, perhaps he didn't understand what I asked him.

I think his boxes are fine and sound.

Except for an over abundance of marquetry.

Expecially, when they are used to mask butt joints.

A ruse.

It would have taken less time to mitter all the corners.

I dont dislike Mark Savoy, but I 'm puzzled by his cavalier and sometimes (by all accounts) rude and distant and dismissive attitude to some.

I'm badmouthing him, I know i'm not.

Just questionning his attitude, So!.

But the thing that most disturb me is his disregard for something as elementary and historical, and BTW really easely remedied as is non use of mittered joints.

I mean, he sings and plays traditional folk music, using an almost traditional looking accordion, almost that is, witout one one the most historical construction details there is, meaning the use of mittered corners.

Is it because they take more time to do?, well they don't, despite what MR. Miller asserted on this board last year in an open letter to me .

The only thing that Marc Savoy has to do, is to ask his jobbers, suppliers of his accordion wooden parts to include mittered corners in their construction .

The mittered corners should and are part of the long history of accordion making anywhere, even the infamous Arriete has them.

I'm shocked to say the least that Marc has omitted them on his boxes.

He didn't unfortunatly include them, when he first build his first box, and more then likely didn't at the time know how to do them.

But time has bypassed Marc and that's why some younger builders, more interested in historical and true box construction details are including mittered corners.

Insulting M. Savoy Where?.

Claude.
Insulting, Mr Mark Savoy, where, tell me?.

I'm puzzled .

The smell?,duh!.

Why is it that some people are "petrified" with fear when mentionning Marc Savoy's name ?, beats me, it's not even reverence, it's only fear.

Nobody should have fear, just reasonnable trepidation and expectations as a buyer.

Claude.

Claude,

I have an Acadian Accordion with mitered corners. It was built about 39 years ago.

All I know is that Marc's more modern version plays a lot better.

Now, about historical qualities: I have one of those old German models with the mitered corners- like a picture frame- and after my wife knocked it off the piano with her broom, these mitered corners leak air.

Had they been "butt joints" I think they may have been sturdier. Who knows?

Re: What's that smell?

Being an engineer, I know. Butt joint. A mitered edge has 33% more surface area for gluing, but over 60% more area of open end grain. The end grain should first be filled with hot hide glue and dried. Sand the light fuzz off and glue up. Splines or biscuits will stenghthen the joint. Most folks just glue them up. I prefer hide glue. It has hundreds of years of use and stands the test of time. Alaphatic resin(yellow wood glue) and polyvinyl acetate glue(white elmers) have only 50+ years with mixed results depending on application.

It's beerthirty

hey Craig,

My Art Framer uses most of the time ,splines, witch would be feasible on a mittered corners 1 row.

I'm looking at one of the frame now and after measurements , it measures 3/8"x 1 1/4", so there is plenty of room, it seems to be able to do it on a 1 row frame.

Each corner has 2 splines .

Looks good, meticulously done, craftsmanship like.

The splines are easy to make with a table saw and the proper homemade gig.

Off course the're made after the joint is glued.

Claude, PS: The splines will be hidden by the corner brackets, anyway.

Beerthirty. You barley-lovin' Braves have convinced me to knock off work early and start poppin' tops. Plus, it's my last weekend as a single man! That means starting this Tuesday eve, you'll be R!CK-free for a few weeks here on the ol' board. So git yer last minute jabs in before ya'll done thunk I quit'cha! Never... I've made some great friends here!

Now, back to those corners and joints. Why can't accordions be oval shaped?

R!CK

congratulations, Rick

So'you're getting married? I'll play you a wedding march, and drink a beer!!! Where is your honeymoon trip going?

Quite the same crossed my mind, why not rounded 'corners'like the old antroposophes would recommend? In Holland we even have tampons with a rounded top . And roundabouts where used to be crossings.

Hope you will have time to contribute in the future

Gus

Re: congratulations, Rick

Thanks, brutha! Yeah, I'm ready, me. I've got a golden gal from Lake Charles. Totally likeminded -- we're peas in a pod. Gonna seal the deal and whisk her off to St. Vincent & the Grenadines. When I get back, I'm recording more tunes for our CD. We've got 7 tunes down and at least that many more to go. Dropping the first 7 off this week at MTE for mix and mastering.

So lots of stuff going on, but I'll be around a few more days!

'Preciate'cha!

R!CK

Re: Re: congratulations, Rick

I'll buy your cd as soon as it is ready. OK?

Then I'm gonna make some copies for the beerglasses to put on and drink on the health of you two!.

Gus

Re: Re: Re: congratulations, Rick

Right on Gus! I'll get back to ya on that! In a few weeks I'll probably have some sample tunes on my website(s). But we still need another handful of tunes before calling it a "full" release.

Cheers backatcha!

R!CK

Congrat`s Rick, we`ll have a sixpack on you,
Are you sure you want tot do this?

I think accordions aren`t oval shaped `cause they keep falling off your knee when you play them

Wilfred

Re: Oval accordions

Isn't that what straps are for?

Re: Re: Oval accordions

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!