Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: If you have a Three-Row in FBbEb, in what key do you typically play on guitar?

usually one uses a triple row so you can
get the flat 3rds

which means you are usually playing on
the b flat row, in f

or the f row, in c

those are
the most natural keys for being able to
use the flat 3rd on the row above

[the e flat row has no 'row above' .
technically all 12 chromatic notes
exist on the 3 row, but they
get harder to find the more you stray
from the 'easy keys']

wle.

Re: If you have a Three-Row in FBbEb, in what key do you typically play on guitar?

Like Larry said, the most common keys to play songs in using an F-Bb-Eb triple row are going to be F and C, with a fair amount of Eb, Bb, and Dm thrown into the mix.

It won't really work at all for E or A - for that you would need an E-A-D triple row, in which case the "best" keys will be E and B. Better yet, get your guitar player to hone up his musicianship skills and learn to play in some more keys, or tell him to use a capo. I am sort of joking here, because I don't know if you have a guitar player that is bugging you to play in E or A. But I am sort of not joking too. I have heard it said here before that some guitar players complain about the keys. I have always thought that was a little strange because I have played with many pro guitar players and never got a single complaint. Maybe it's not an issue for the pros, but it is for the amateurs?

Sorry for the digression.

-David

"E and A"

it won't really work at all for E or A - for that you would need an E-A-D triple row, in which case the "best" keys will be E and B.

--dave, did you mean "E and A" here?

--i agree about the guitarists, the hell with them

they can change keys for $5 [capo],
or free [retune or just learn bar chords]

wle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!