Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: RESPECT

Albert,

As Cory, stated in an earlier post, he does have an " Acadian" with mittered corners built some 39 years ago.

Why is it , then that " Acadians" are built now without them.

Albert , the answer is simple, just like "Bon Cajun" accordions at the time, Marc whom then was probably ill equipped, and not as knowledgable about wood working as he now is, decided to take the "easy" route and do away with the revered mitters.

My feeling is that he thought that the people buying his boxes, wouldn't notice the difference, and you know Albert, if that's what he thought, well he was darn right.

He probably thought , oh well, what do they know anyway, they haven't seen an accordion before , so there.

And I find it darn insulting that there and then he decided that the people of Louisiana wouldn't know any better.

And Golly Joe, , he was right, they have not found out, well some of them have, thanks to people like me.

Perpetuate a myth, and people the world over will follow you like little lemurs, not fair Albert.

In his early days of accordion building Marc followed the design of the early German accordions,the only ones available at the time, then as he progressed and got more well known,he took, in his mind, the faster way, he ommited to mitter his boxes corners.

It's not too late to correct a major mistake.

And it's indeed fortunate that some LA builders,more traditionalist in their ideas, then Marc, people like Randy Falcon ,Jude and John with more integrity and more desire to showcase their craftmanship have challenged Marc's building techniques.

Insulting Marc Savoy, Me, come on people, it's the reverse, he has insulted me and score of other people into beleiving that "Acadian" accordions are built the way accordions should be.

Fortunately I know better.

they are buit according to Marc's gospel, minus 8 major details.

The only reason, Marc stood on one of his accordions is that he was trying to prove that "Butted corners" accordions could stand any abuse, and that "mittered ones would'nt.

Sorry, people, you could try the same "Stunt" with one of Randy's boxes , and I bet you that it won't cave in.

Come on Ricky, do it, Baby , I dare you .

Cheers.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: RESPECT

Claude:

Where can I buy one of your handmade, single-row accordions?

AR

Do wha?! Heh? I was just thinkin' how nice it is for Opelousas to stick up for Eunice.

But I'll underscore this endless debate by saying Randy Falcon loves his miters. It's a selling point with him. But what's more important to me is the flat-corner on the finger board and the huge bass box grip. Plus the fact that Randy's boxes are air-F'n-tighter than the greenhouse effect.

So if I were to pick on the way accordions are built, I'd be more inclined to address these functionality issues over something cosmetic. But then again, I'm a musician and not a wood craftsman. And that's probably the crux of it all. The majority of folks on this board play music and don't build instruments. I know there are a few inspiring craftsmen and well-established builders here and it's always an honor to hear from them on building issues. But most of us want to glean advice on how to create music.

So therefore, if you're not interested in mitters, miters, mitres or booty joints, just remember, [Ben Kenobi] "These are not the droids you're looking for."

Although, ya gotta admit... those "mitters" are full-on bling, baby! Ha!

Butt, all that aside, it's once again beerthirty. So let's raise a glass/can/bottle/keg to salut this eternal and picayune debate.

CHEERS! and R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

R!CK

Re: RESPECT

...I hate to admit it, but Claude I've missed you on this forum...

...when the world's a circus, it's nice to know that we can depend on a one-trick pony for entertainment...

Doc

Re: Re: RESPECT

Hey Marc

That's why we have a love and hate relationship.

We should be married .

Cheers.

Say bruddah, gotta take a screen shot of that message...
Coup de gras, mon ami.

Touche

R!CK

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!