Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Humidity & rust affecting reeds

I saw an old discussion on salt air causing rust on reeds. Humidity can also be desastrous on reeds: i own a Harry Crabb concertina, bought it new in the 70-ies. one of the "lessons" Mr. Crabb gave me as starting player was: This instument won't need any maitenance for at least 20 years to come if you use a soft brush to clean the bellows' folds regularily, and especcially: "When you come out of the cold, first draw some warm air from the room in to the instrument. You'll avoid the reeds getting condense setting down on them and cause them to rust in the long run". He was quite right, i promised to do that, who could resist such good advice, and they're still perfectly in tune, 35 years down the road ...

Re: Humidity & rust affecting reeds

Good point my friend.

If I ever play my box outside on a humid day I try to always run air conditioned air through all reeds before putting the accordion to bed.

Cold days I do the same.

Have you ever noticed that reeds sound best when played in an air conditioned room? To my ears it almost sounds like a better instrument.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!