Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion Repair -- Bass Box Spring

Hey Nick,

A little trick to make sure the holes are lined up when you're re-assembling the accordion is to take four tooth picks and slightly insert them into the holes on the bass side of the accordion as a guide.

John

Re: Accordion Repair -- Bass Box Spring

Nick, the spring is most likely a #2 safety pin which is what most builders use. You can get these at wal-mart, cut the top end off of it where the latch it self is so that you are holding a V with the spring coil at the bottom. Then bend about a 1/8" L on the top of both open ends so that the whole thing looks like a V with a small leg pointing to the left and a leg pointing to the right. Take the two facing screws off, then unscrew the four screws which hold the bass box on, if you look inside the box you should then see two holes where the spring was jammed in before. Insert the two small legs into the opposing holes and push them down using a flat head screwdriver. This should fix you... If you want the tension tighter, bend the spring open wider before you put it in. Hope it makes sense ?

Re: Re: Accordion Repair -- Bass Box Spring

I have to disagree.
Most builders have gotten away from using safety pins anymore. They don't have the temper to hold up very well. (they are now very cheaply made in off-shore factories) The safety pins, that is...

Call up Marc and he will definitely send you a new spring. (Probably for free.)

DP

Re: Re: Re: Accordion Repair -- Bass Box Spring

Hoo boy,

What a great forum we have here. I was able to take everything apart no prob. I wasn't able to find great safety pins, but I did score some at the 99 cent store. They seem a tad weaker than I would like, but I was able to install it and put the whole thing back together (and yes, the most annoying part is lining up the four screws for the handle.

It works fine now. I'm not crazy about the spring itself, but I'll contact Marc tomorrow -- maybe he can send the one he uses.

Now I know exactly how to pop one in.

For the time being, this box is definitely in playing condition.

Thanks, y'all!

Nick B

Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion Repair -- Bass Box Spring

Excellent, glad it all worked out!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion Repair -- Bass Box Spring

Nick, the other one was broken?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accordion Repair -- Bass Box Spring

Yes. The spring was actually broken. Frankly, it had always felt "weak", much more so than my other Acadian, which feels a little more solid.

It's amazing to open up your accordion and see how simple it looks. There's obviously some "mojo" going on, though, cuz all of my boxes sound great.

Nick B

Re: Great sounding boxes

They all sound good, because you sound good!
Gotta give credit where credit is due!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!