Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can the bellows be tightened on a cheap box?

I bought a cheap beginners model box, but the push is a little weak. Is there something that can be done to make the bellows a little stronger?

And no I can not afford a better accordion right now! Unless you want to "lend" me one.

Thanks

Re: Can the bellows be tightened on a cheap box?

Not too sure what you mean by 'tightened', but on a cheap box, you can pretty much count on a leak here and there. You can tend to those using Sobo glue to seal those leaks on the bellows, replace the gasket between the bellows and frame. But keep in mind, cheaper reeds need more air to sound. Even resolving any leak problems, the reeds themselves will make you work a little harder.
Steve

Re: Re: Can the bellows be tightened on a cheap box?

I has no Push. When I push it's just weak and I can only sound maybe two notes.

Re: Can the bellows be tightened on a cheap box?

You can tell if the bellowsw leak by pushing them without pressing a key down. If the bellow close easy, you probably have an air leak. You do not need to push very hard.

The loudness should be about the same on push or pull.

Also check the thumb air valve.

Let us know what you find.

RPr

Re: Re: Can the bellows be tightened on a cheap box?

I took it back. I think I will get a large bottle and start putting my coins in there for a nice one.

Thanks for your help.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!