Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shoot, I don't check a few days, and miters reveal their pointy heads...

I have come to the conclusion that it is human nature to fret over trivia. In the Middle Ages, a lot of time was spent worring about how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.

Beginning players often do not notice the differences it instrument quality.

Skilled musicians sound good on almost any instrument they pick up and they migrate to high end instruments with the nuances and tone they enjoy.

Mediocre players think they are limited by the instrument they play.

I have never had an instrument that someone could not get more sound out of that me. Rather humbling at times.

So many instruments so little time.

Re: Re: Shoot, I don't check a few days, and miters reveal their pointy heads...

[RPr]"Mediocre players think they are limited by the instrument they play."

That is so eloquent and pure genius.

R!CK

Re: mediocre player story - guitar

I worked concerts for a while, setting-up the stage, helping w/ sound, getting the beer, etc. Anyway, years ago I worked a concert where Van Halen opened for Ted Nugent. After soundcheck but before the gig, we see Mr. Nugent get on-stage and plug-in to EdVanH's gear. He played and played and just sounded like, well...Ted Nugent. Couldn't help but wonder if ol' Ted was trying to figure out the magic of the EdVanH sound. Of course, most of it is that Ed was one talented and inventive new player on the scene.

Rob K.

Re: Re: Re: Shoot, I don't check a few days, and miters reveal their pointy heads...

It is. I guess I should blame something else ?!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Shoot, I don't check a few days, and miters reveal their pointy heads...

Wait, this is Nick Beaudoing, calice, not "Big Nick" of accordion lesson fame. Someone may have mistaken me for the other.

Let the record show that I've always been indifferent to the issue of mitres. What's more, my opinions on this crucial non-issue have been the same over and over.

The only pot I stir is the one with beans and sausage.

Either way, it don't mitre.

Nick Bow-dwanh

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Shoot, I don't check a few days, and miters reveal their pointy heads...

Mes humble excuses monsieur Beaudoing .

Claude.

And I am sure that when you sold those accordions you mentioned those serious flaws to the buyers???

Yea right!!!!!

Re: Re: Shoot, I don't check a few days, and miters reveal their pointy heads...

They are only flaws to me, and my opinion of what is good and what is honest. That is why they invented YMMV... -L-

Re: Re: Re: Shoot, I don't check a few days, and miters reveal their pointy heads...

Tom, I think that you might be a used car salesman. That has to be your regular job.

Man, I sure missed out on this one.

joints? whatever is stongest. Don't they all have corner flanges anyway?

Ya know, all the builders mentioned are all kick ass in my department, including my man Larry. I have owned them all, and although I can't hold a candle to the hotshot players, I've owned many many instruments in my day(including Martin Guitars)and these guys are **** good. We're splitting hairs. I would say that the only accordion I have ever had problems with was a Savoy. It had weak wires. I think it may have been a batch a bad metal(could happen to anyone). The flappers kept getting out of whack.

Play on boxheads!
K

Pointy Heads ? Wear a safety cone for a hat.

There may be incidental moans, groans, gripes and grumbles with just about anything made nowadays. I can think of dozens of things I would rubber stamp "Rejected" for one reason or another just because. Dill pickles for one, taste like crap today compared to those monster pickles out'a those huge jars back when... now those were pickles by jeezes when a pickle was pickle!

Many have known Claude from this board for a number of years.

I have always suspected him to have been a master wood worker (my little suspicion)in some fashion.... sorta in the ways of that Yankee Work shop thing, where they make fancified stuff in a 30 minute segment for a viewing audience on public television ... stuff that makes ya go Oooooh Ahhhhhh how'd he do that(?). So yeah, I can see where he's coming from as a craftsman that questions another craftman about the why of things when it comes to wood. Perhaps it is all part of who ya were, where ya were and when ya were as to how things were created with those miters and corners and such.

Mark is still a Neanderthal (so he says, therefore he must be) and I doubt that he will ever change his ways of doing what he does, as long as there is a buyer for what he's cranking out. May have been deprived of a good dill pickle as a kid (who knows or cares?). He's places a snap line on what he does makes a cut, slap some glue, tosses in some guts and rakes in the dough. He eats sleeps and rips accordion tooters because that's his market, it's what he does.
Then proceeds with next opportunity to make a buck.. cha ching... I am sure he has a passion for it all in some Mark sorta way that I'm not quite aware of... as a reason to not alter his method.

Me? Well I wished I had me one'a those fin tailed convertable Caddy's that weighed a couple gazillion tons top down.. and gas was still 24.9 cents a gallon along old Route 66... on nice day for taking a road trip going to places that has Pecan logs, two headed lizzards, something called the "thing" on display and those goofy motels in the shape of wigwams and space ships...I'd take along a "C" box for grins and not give a hoot one bit about what kinda corners it had on it... but that's just me thinking about what was, and not so much what is. Eat more pickles

Re: Pointy Heads ? Wear a safety cone for a hat.

Hey whoever you are,
I'd rather read his post than your's.

Only a coward would bash a master accordion builder and claim "nitwit protected" Long live cajun music!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!