Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Help, I'm confused: GCF or FBbEb for my triple-row Panther?

Relax. It really doesn't matter. Corey's DVD is in FBE but also works in GCF with a push of the button. The Tex Mex videos are in GCF but for the music we want to play I don't think they are helpful. FBE is a nice compliment to your C single row so you can get lots of different keys with both. And it is like anything, once you get the feel for the triple you will probable want to add to your arsenal with a different key anyway or al lest upgrade to a 5 reed Dino (might as well dream big). FBE is a good choice. You will be playing in C which is a great key for fiddles and guitars, F and A minor, as well as Eb for Motor Dude special. And as an extra treat, if you get the FBE you can play along with Horace Trahan on his DVD (Almeda Pictures) and get his cool version of Zydeco a pas Sale done in Ab. It's all good.

Re: Help, I'm confused: GCF or FBbEb for my triple-row Panther?

Hi Maz,

I didn't know that the Panther came in F-Bb-Eb, I thought it was only G-C-F. In any case, the choice you made is OK. For some time now (20 years or more perhaps), F-Bb-Eb has been *more* common, and could be considered "normal". But you will find both. Many of us have both. I have both, but I only gig with the F-Bb-Eb.

-David

Re: Re: Help, I'm confused: GCF or FBbEb for my triple-row Panther?

The new COMPADRE or EL REY DEL VALLENATO models by Hohner are entry level triple rows and come in any key you want : ADG, GCF, FBbEb, EAD or BbEbAb.

Glenn

Re: Re: Re: Help, I'm confused: GCF or FBbEb for my triple-row Panther?

Thanks for your input all. I have until Monday to decide. I think I will stick to my initial decision FBbEb... The guy I'm buying from (through ebay) in Ontario has this one Panther that has these reeds from a Corona II which I am getting for $350 Cdn including shipping. He also has another normal one in GCF which I could get instead for $50 more. This is a very good deal in either case. Yesterday, I went to a local music store. They had a Panther there in GCF listed at $615 Cdn... Now I'm in the hunt for a gig bag the guy has one for $85.. what do you think?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help, I'm confused: GCF or FBbEb for my triple-row Panther?

Maz...

I have a used red 1970's Corona II with original FBbEb reeds in it.. it is a "road box " has seen some playing and has some rust on the grille..but otherwise functional..

Hard to find with original 70's FBbEb reeds ( which alone sell for close to $300 new.. and the older ones are better )..

it is in California... if you want to have a look at it I can have it sent to you .. no obligation.. if you don't want it then send it on to an address I give you.

Cost $475 U.S. dollars shipping included... ( Paypal if possible ).

GLENN

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help, I'm confused: GCF or FBbEb for my triple-row Panther?

Thanks for the offer Glenn, but I can't go back on the deal I sealed for the Panther.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!