Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Button felt

I have looked it over well. "The guy" Danny Dyson is a well known builder and well respected. It is my belief that many other builders are overpriced. Name=$. There are a number of board members who have a quality box from Danny. Fiddleboy has built one or more beautiful boxes modeled after his Le Capitaine.
At least my springs have not broken like some of the "good boxes" have as reported on this board.

Re: Re: Button felt

Not everybody can afford the best.

Re: Bass side Button felt

I have noticed two basic designs on the base side.
(In good and in cheap accordions)

1. The block of wood that the button is screwed into is used as a "stop" when it comes in contact with the inside of the bass box.

2. A felt pad is used under the button to stop the movement.

I prefer the latter becuse it is more quite.
If you have in internal mic you may hear a "clunk" if you depress the button completely in the first design.

DP

I made two felt discs, unscrewed the two buttons, added the discs and all is well. The clack was just the button heads hitting the wood. Danny was the best deal in town. I don't think he builds any more. His web page is gone as well.

Well, at least my kids are through college, the house is paid off, I have no debt, and retirement is around the corner. Anyone can afford anything when they borrow the money. Contrary to belief, you do not always get what you pay for. Sometimes you eat the Bear, other times the Bear eats you. I'll stick by the quality box Danny made for me as others will with their Le Capitaines. Low overhead makes for competitive pricing.
Nice weather here in MD today.

Craig

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!