Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Jo-El Sonnier

Craig,
I would be intrested to see them also.
Do you know David Bromberg He has been showing up in the folk scene performing again, after a long time. He moved from Chicago to Wilmington, DE, of all places. I hear that he has a jam night at his shop on a Wednesday night. I would love to go down from Philly and see him again. I was a big fan of his back in the day and still listen to the couple of albums that I own frequently. I understand that he became a big dog in the violin business, as a maker and broker, and is partnered with a big dog bow maker , and broker.

Where is yous business? Best wishes. jerry

Fiddle me this...

Craig,
I've asked this question of a dozen different people and gotten a dozen completely different answers: what is the difference between a fiddle and a violin? Since my son is starting in violin lessons, I'd really like to know.

Jude

Re: Jo-El Sonnier

My brother's friend, who owns Southworth guitars, took us on a road trip in the late '70s. We ended up at Bromberg's apt. in NYC. What a place! No room to sit. It was full of stringed instruments. I started Seneca Strings in 1987. I was building old time banjos and repairing guitars. My Danish father in law asked if I could build a Hardinger fiddle. I gave it to him in 1998. I can't seem to focus on any one hobby. Now it's these accordions that have my attention.

Craig
PS
Claude creates some very fine art. You should check out his talents!

Viator fiddles. Now that's what I'd like to copy!

The one and the same. Almost all are modeled from Italian and French makers from the past. In America, the first were crudely made Church Viols and they pretty much sucked. This was in Mass. Later, European immigrants brought tools and skills and violins! Folk music, tavern music, was fiddling while composed orchestral or ensemble was considered violin playing. There are some really fine instruments made by locals from local wood. Check out the Viator violins. I like calling them fiddles. Hardinger fiddles are Scandinavian and unique.
It's all good,
Craig

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!