Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Panther...re-tune it? Naw, just enjoy it as is.

I've had my Panther(GCF as from the factory) for about a week now and am enjoying it very much. It is a great instrument for the money, but it is not suited to Cajun music at all. First of all, it has only two banks of reeds (M M) and will never be loud enough for anything but some waltzes etc. It is also tuned fairly wet and just doesn't growl at all. You could re-tune it drier and install an amplifier, but won't really change it's true character. It would still be missing the low and high reeds. It would be like trying to make a Buick Century into a Corvette. You could re-tune it to FBbEb, but I'm not sure it is really necessary. Why spend the money? Save it for another La box. Take the Panther for what it is: an instrument suited to other music forms. Music it can accomplish quite nicely. Use it for irish jigs, reels, folk tunes, polkas, etc. where the increased subtleties of note and tone and the soft musette tuning can shine. You could install an amplifier though for Zydeco and Norteno. I'm not saying a talented musician couldn't play Cajun music on a Panther, but true Cajun box would be Soooooo much better.

Re: My Panther...re-tune it? Naw, just enjoy it as is.

You're right John, a Panther or whatever other three-row is not suited for Cajun. It is more for Zydeco.

Re: Re: My Panther...re-tune it? Naw, just enjoy it as is.

they can be all right for zydeco
with a couple of internal mikes
played through a PA
[not sure what 'installing an amplifier' would mean..]

i use a digital effects box to play through
one thing you can set it do to is
'lower the sound by an octave and
add it to the original'
that can sound like a low reed bank
roland VF-1

wle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!