Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Difference between a Corona II and III?

Are there any triple rows between the Panther/CoronaII $300-$600 level, and the over $1,800 boxes, that are good for Zydeco?

Re: Re: Difference between a Corona II and III?

Hohner Corona IIIR .. no longer produced.

I have one I'll sell for $950 shipping included.

GLENN

Re: Re: Difference between a Corona II and III?

I'm not sure what the current price is, but I would consider the Gabbanelli model 101 a good in-between. Three rows with no switches. Nice instrument. Then, for about $2000 you could have Stormy Hyde in Australia hand-build you a fabulous two row, custom tuned, custom everything, delivery at the end of the year.

www.concertina.info/hydeaccordions/about.htm

A friend in Austin owns three of them, including a model made just for her called the "Texas Rose".
He even has a new line of Midi boxes.

Re: Re: Re: Difference between a Corona II and III?

The Aussie boxes are good folkie boxes.. never seen them do Cajun or Zydeco.. despite their quality and reputation.. ( which I do not doubt are excellent )..

the best cheapo three row on the market is a Panther..or Compadre ( both by Hohner )..

best three row with register..is an old Corona IIIR for blues and zydeco. It has a slow keyboard for any fast playing.. but when mic'ed it sounds wicked.

Several players on this forum have indulged in one and got the sound they wanted at a decent price..

A Gabb101 is still a two reed box..and IMHO is overpriced.

G.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Difference between a Corona II and III?

I heard Gabanelli is Italian for "We saw you coming."

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!