Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What kind of box is this? Chromatic?

On link 2 and link 3 you find some information.
You get the same note with pushing and pulling.
Some of the buttons (in different rows?) gave the same note.

Re: Re: What kind of box is this? Chromatic?

right, so called "button accordion" (freely translated from the Dutch language). So, there is chromatic piano accordions and chromatic 'button'accordions. Like Glenn said, there are 2 systems.
In Dutch we call a button accordion a "pull harmonica" or "pull bag". NEVER call a squeezebox an "accordion" in Holland!

Tune played sounds like a French Musette, but I am not an expert.
In fact the name "Musette" comes from the French bagpipe, and on this field I have more expertise.

Gus

Re: Re: What kind of box is this? Chromatic?

You'll also notice that some buttons go down when another is pressed, meaning they're the same note, tied to the same linkage.

Chromatic Button Accordion, in American parlance. When in doubt, see how much in and out they have to do to do a run.

in and out?

in and out?
you don;t have to go in and out, the
notes are the same in each direction

wle.

Re: in and out?

Right. One of the hallmarks of most chromatic accordions is Double Action. You get the same note on the push and the pull, two identical reeds for each button. Now you can get "rythmn effects" by using the push and pull, rapid pulses etc, but you really never run out of air on a note. You just reverse direction and the same note sounds. All piano accordions are set up that way. I don't know of any single action piano setups. Most diatonic accordions are single action (are there any double action diatonics???) That would require at least two rows to get 20 notes. Not sure if that would make any sense.

Re: in and out?

I wasn't verbose enough I guess. I made the initial determination that it was a CBA by the number of rows, but I've heard of 4 row diatonics, so then I looked to see how much he was moving the bellows in and out. Mostly, not much, which told me it was a CBA.

Re: Re: in and out?

I'll be even more verbose. Towards the beginning of the video, he was doing some amount of in and out, which confused me. Now I know that he was just trying to keep the bellows close in, in anticipation of a long unbroken run to the out site.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!