Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Working w/ guitar and Bb

If you are playing Zydeco, you are probably talking about an electric guitar. I don't know that I would capo an electric. I would just play barre chords and partials. If you do capo, especially on an acoustic guitar, I would try to stay as close as possible to the end of the neck so the guitar doesn't get too twangy.

If you capo the first fret, Bb would be played in the A position, and F would be played in the E position. If you cap at the third fret, Bb is in the G position and F is in the D position. I think third fret is most common because when playing in the E position, you have to play a B7 or barre a C when your chord changes to C. Did I confuse you enough?

forgot to mention

In accord with what Larry said, most Zydeco will be in the pull, or key of F. I would just play an open, or choked F and slide up to the Bb when needed.

Re: Re: Working w/ guitar and Bb

Capo the first fret and play in the A position. That's a great sound for a low accordion...

Electric guitar and capos

In the "for what it's worth" category...

Last week, I had a party gig. We use different guitar players from gig to gig, and I noticed that the guy we had that night was using a capo on his electric guitar. Since I use an Bb single row, and an F-Bb-Eb triple row, many of the songs end up in the key of F. Not surprisingly, the capo was on the first fret. I did not notice any ill effects from the use of a capo on an electric.

I can't recall any other electric guitar players I have worked with using a capo, but I don't have a problem with it.

Hasn't Keith Richards always used a capo on his guitar? I remember the first time I noticed it, and I think he had it up pretty high on the neck - like on the 7th fret.

-David

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!