Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OT: Cajun guitar suggestions?

Hi Braves,

Say, I may do some Cajun Guitar playing in a
Cajun band.

I’d like the idea of using a guitar that sounds
fairly acoustic thru a PA, but has action similar
to an a solid body electric guitar.

I recall seeing Sam Broussard (in Steve Riley’s band)
using an acoustic that appears to have some active
electronics on board.

Would anyone know what Sam is playing, or have
any suggestions on model guitar what would fill
the bill?

Thanks!

--Big Nick

Re: OT: Cajun guitar suggestions?

If you decide to go a different route, keep the guitar and amp and get an acoustic simulator. Some are better than others. I play using the AD-5 and it has XLR jacks which allows the device to double as a DI box. I prefer the AD-5.

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/AC-2/

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/AD-5/index.html

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/AD-3/index.html

Tom,
Sam has, and plays, a number of different guitars. For recording, I think he uses a Martin and a Collings. It seems his primary gig axe these days is his CA guitar which is a graphite guitar built by Composite Acoustics in Lafayette. They are very durable and resistant to heat and weather. They have onboard electronics and sound very convincing plugged in. Acoustically, however, I don't think they sound legitimate.

I play a Martin HD-28 with a passive LR Baggs pickup. I plug it into an LR Baggs Acoustic DI, and it all comes out pretty well in the end. You will need to consider what settings you will be playing in. If it is an acoustic setting, you will want to get a dreadnaught size for the volume and tone. If it is an electric, on stage setup, you can get by with a 000 or OM sized small body.

Another thing to consider is a semi-hollow electric. Some really nice Epiphones can be had for around $400. With a good acoustic DI they sound pretty acoustic with less feedback to deal with.

Ganey

Re: Re: OT: Cajun guitar suggestions?

I have been playing a F hole gibson since the 50's going straight into an amp. About 12 years ago I started using a "Sans Amp" and going straight into the PA. This has worked out really well for me, best thing about it is that I don't have to haul that heavy amp around. The "Sans Amp" has great level controls as well as equalization, try it, you will like it!!!

Additional guitar questions :-)

Thanks, everyone for the replies ..

I know this is OT, but who would know this better
than Cajun-Accordion musicians?

To be more specific, I’m seeking a set-up for live
performance and likely will line-in thru a PA.

I’d like to emulate an acoustic guitar sound, but
with the fingering ease of an electric guitar for the
sake of soloing.

That’s why I had mentioned Sam Broussard’s set
up. It sounds to me like he’s accomplished these
goals when playing live. (Not to mention, he is a
guitar-god

Right now, I’ve got:

Martin D16GT w/Fishman pickup
LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI

But, I can’t solo on the Martin very well.

I also have:

Gibson Les Paul
Fender Strat
Dan-Electro re-issue

These are great for soloing, but they couldn’t be
farther from an acoustic guitar in audio quality.

Do you suppose one of the mentioned pre-amps
can turn an electric guitar into a plausible acoustic
tone?

(That may be nice because one could conceivably drop
back into an electric tone for soloing.)

Keep pickin'! .. er, I mean SQUEEZIN'

--Big

Re: Additional guitar questions :-)

Dude, that Gibson of Roland's is killer! Every time I see him, I threaten to swipe it and send him my Martin. He is right on about the SansAmp. I used one for bass for many years, and now, I have the para-acoustic model. I prefer the LR Baggs, but they both kick BUTTer.

The LP or the Strat will come across a little Jazzy, but pretty good using the neck p/u and a clean signal (ie. the boxes mentioned above). On the flip side, that D-16 can be setup up to play as easily as an electric, and you get the real sound. When you coming to Louisiana again? Until then, toughen up them fingers!!

Ganey

Re: Additional guitar questions :-)

I think there are some stomp boxes on the market for electric guitars that emulate acoustic guitars that you could stomp out of on your solos. I've never tried any of them because I don't play electric guitar and I don't do any soloing. As long as I've got a good bottom end and it sounds somewhat warm and open, I'm good. But I know I've run across them in my never ending search for getting a real acoustic sound while being plugged in.

By the way, Sam plays a Bourgeois guitar now when he plays an acoustic. I think he's one of their featured artists. Fantastic guitars if you can spend over $3,000. I have no idea what he uses between the guitar and the PA though.

Sorry I caouldn't be of more assistance.

Re: Re: Additional guitar questions :-)

Hey Brent,
I had heard that he was considering a Bourgeois, but hadn't seen him with one. Do you know which model? Ricky Skaggs is such a fan of the "Country Boy" that they made a "Ricky Skaggs Deluxe" model. Pretty cool guitars.

Re: Re: Re: Additional guitar questions :-)

I think he plays a Vintage D but I'm not 100% sure. He had it at Jazz Fest and at Balfa Camp but I never got a real good look at it. That is is for sure one of my "When I win the Powerball guitars though".

Re: Re: Re: Re: Additional guitar questions :-)

This may be even more OT but, Brent, I really enjoyed your guitar playing on stage next to your dad at Balfa Camp. I'm pretty sure I told that to Ray during an accordion session a few days later (he beamed with pride!), but I've never had a chance to tell you directly, "great work."

Dale

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Additional guitar questions :-)

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it, we had a great time playing that night. I've never considered myself to be much of a guitar player. I can only play about eight chords, but man do I have a blast playing those eight chords.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Additional guitar questions :-)

hi brent

i have to say that i have had the pleasure to watch your guitar playing evolve into a rock solid tour de force. and y'all should know this guy can squeeze the accordion......it's a blood line thing....or something.....

hey brent....gonna give you a call soon. the recording project isn't scrapped, mais it's just taking on a life of its own.........

roger

All Things Considered

Tom,
One thing that can't be denied is that a true acoustic tone is virtually impossible on stage unless you are able to just mic it. You can come close, and what is referred to as "Nashville acoustic" sound is pretty easy to get. Doesn't really sound acoustic, though.

I would say just plugged it in and go with it. I always find that no matter how concerned I am with my own tone, most people don't even notice or care.

Funny thing...I was watching old HeeHaw episodes, yesterday and there was Roy Clark picking the heck out of a Bluegrass tune on a Les Paul through a Fender amp. Sounded Great!!

Like Brent I, too, saw Sam Broussard playing his Bourgeois Vintage D at Balfa Camp. If you check Dana Bourgeois' website pantheonguitars.com, and select the "Bourgois Players" link found of the left on that Home page, you can drill down to see a picture of Sam and his Vintage D along with James Leva playing a Bourgeois mahogany D...I think this was for James Leva's CD " 'Til I Know" released in 2005.

Dale

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!