Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
diamond accordion : response

I know about that accordion that's been listed on ebay for so long. I can even have one of you out there to post some better pictures of it, if I email them to someone.

A friend of mine was doing some running around for me visiting with some accordion builders for me to help me decide upon who to have build me one. Well, good ol' Horace has his office right up the street from my friend in Houston, so she visted him for me. Took several pictures for me, and had him call me and talk about that instrument.

He only builds 2 or 3 a year by special request, and was Larry Millers apprentice. He models his accordions closely after a Bon Cajun. That one on ebay is the "twin" of another he built for someone earlier in the year. He is very proud of those two accordions, and even has framed prints hanging in his office of the two "twins".

He played the accordion for me over the telephone, and was very, very freindly and knowlegdeable, and also mailed me a copy of his Cajun bands cd: Thibidoux Cajun Band (sells on cdbaby.com, too)- good cd and accodion playing.

But, too, like all of you, I decided to get a handmade by someone more well known, just because I wanted some gaurantee that if I ever had a problem, there was some way to track the builder down, and too because there is less info about Diamond accodions than we'd all like to see.

He is not selling it directly because he has a business that keeps him plenty busy, and I guess he has not got the contacts needed to get his accodion out there.

I hope you all try top contact him, he was very happy and surprised that I, from Buffalo NY had heard of him ( he didn't even know that his name was on that accordion builders list - and the info is accurate still). Or because he builds so few, it doesn't mean that it is a piece of junk, I think that a personal builder like him puts in much more detail and care in his work because he is so proud of that accordion.

Good Luck, and don't be scared, especially for those of you that know how to buy a good accordion.

Nonc B

Re: diamond accordion : response

Nonc B,
Thanks for doing the legwork.

Would you be willing to email me the contact information for builders that your friend acquired? I'd like to create an updated list of builders on my blog, and having your list would give me a boost.

JtO

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!