Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Would a hand-made LA box make learning to play easier?

John,

I heard some people have a powerful (strong) arm. They can spoil the reeds by pulling and pushing too hard. I know some players from which is said: "never let them play on your instrument".
Especially the old salpa reeds seemed to be very vulnerable.
Right, many players play too hard, because they are behind the instrument and don't hear how hard they are playing.

Antonelli reeds seem to be rather 'strong arm proof", Bincis are in between.
Many years ago there was a bravenet site in which there was payed attention to this phenomenon. Maybe David Sousa can remember where to find the link. (It is still on the internet, I suppose. I can check it in my other PC if you wish).

A good accordion gives more pleasure. Doesn't have to be a LA made, though. (although at the moment I have 2 very fine LA accordions and they are just great fun. We should ask Glenn, he is very experienced in accordion reviewing....

Gus

Re: Re: Would a hand-made LA box make learning to play easier?

I somewhat disagree with Marc Savoy's advice.

He's right that beginners probably tend to be unnecessarily rough on their instruments.

But, in my case, the reason I push and pull too hard is because I started out on an Ariette. When I played that, I HAD to use exaggerated pulls and pushes to get notes out.

Now that I have a LA box, I'm still learning that I need to apply much less muscle to get good sound.

Jude

old link on reed abuse

John, here (link #1) is the link to a discussion about reeds.

Gus

Re: Would a hand-made LA box make learning to play easier?

Watch Jo-el Sonnier play a la box, he is really hard on them.. If you can afford one buy one much easier to play....

Re: Re: Would a hand-made LA box make learning to play easier?

I should think Marc's advice was primarily to fit your budget, and thinking quite rightly, that beginners don't always become experienced players.. so less loss on investment perhaps.

cheaper models are notorious for problems with leaky valves, sticking buttons, blown bellows gaskets, breaking reeds and more. BUT, if used for a couple years to build skills on, I should think they are worth the investment ( but you'll have little if any resale value ).

I think if a beginner has had bad luck with an economy brand, yet remain highly motivated, that they should seriously consider an LA box. IF the motivation is not high, and the economy box is doing its job, then best to just hang on to it.. waiting for the bug to return.

This forum has on many occasion plugged economy models for beginning players. . . and has witnessed many economy model owners take the LA box plunge. I would guess all who did take that plunge were ecstatic they did, and wondered why they didn't do so earlier.

Motivation, level of ability and budget rule the choice I suspect. Any player who can save enough, stay motivated enough, and play well enough, will take the LA box plunge, and never regret it.

G. ( my 2 cents )

Re: Re: Re: Would a hand-made LA box make learning to play easier?

Glenn is absolutely correct -- well said. Beyond his comments, if you've got a GabKing, it's far superior to a Hohner. A buddy of mine from Zydeco Blanco just bought a used GabKing Bb which I had a chance to pull a few weeks ago; it was a good box I tell ya. If I had had one of those to learn on, I would've been thrilled. Stick with it until you save the bones for a handmade. The Caribbean has a proverb: Wanty wanty can't getty and getty getty no wanty. In other words, what you've got may not seem like a lot -- but it's all you got -- and if you jones hard for an upgrade, you might find there's always something else better. Humble is the way up. Master that King first.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Would a hand-made LA box make learning to play easier?

Thanks for all the wise input...I do know my King is much easier to play than my 114. Needs less air to speak etc, etc. I will take all your advice to heart. I don't see the "bug" fading any time soon (if ever), so an LA box is definitely somewhere in my future. Maybe a B-flat.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Would a hand-made LA box make learning to play easier?

economy Gabb beats economy Hohner any day ( I think that is universally accepted )..but depends on you budget and motives.

John needs an LA box.. he has got THE bug : ))))

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!