Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: european builders

Glenn,

I am very happy 'swapping' my castagnari for the acadian I got from you. Talking about playing Cajun, of course. It's just much more fun, especially when playing on the knee with the thumbstrap only. Then weight doesn't matter, rather have a heavier and more stable one, is my opinion.

See you in Saulieu?

Gus

Re: Re: Re: european builders

See you in Saulieu.. you can give me lessons ! ..

I may have a couple interesting boxes with me.. an Acadian done "Sterling style".. and a Bb box.. depends on the wife's OK..

I mainly play triple row..

G

Re: european builders

I am very happy with my two Castagnari Max.
They are both instruments of high quality and play very fine and also very loud.
The air-button is situated on another place, but I'm used to it and I have some trouble if I get a LA-box to play on.
The box is smaller than a LA-box, but the distances between the buttons are bigger!!! (Gus wrote)
Also the grip on the bass-side is bigger and not rounded.
Since they are tuned dry and cajun they sound a lot better.
The D-box plays lighter than my C-box.
I wonder if that's allways with a C and a D-box ?
When I'm lucky to play on a Savoy, Miller or Martin, I realize that the LA-boxes are different.
In the meantime, I keep on dreaming of having one myself.

Re: Re: Acadian for sale ( maybe )

THAT'S the ticket, Albert! He's right, guys. This is pretty funny...

Re: Acadian for sale ( maybe )

hello sarah, welcome to the madness, lol Thank goodness for the good ole ACADIAN

I bought a D Acadian once... opened it up and was shocked to see " Re " written in Italian calligraphy inside. This Acadian, was much different than any I'd played or owned. I can't say it was Italian, and wouldn't support unproven claims of Italian Acadians..but I must admit the writing inside did come as a shock.

On a separate note: if you buy reedblocks for triple rows from Hohner, you'll see some pretty strange, non-native English calligraphy on the boxes indicating tone and serial numbers. My Chinese students write just like what I see on the boxes. The German calligraphy on the inspection tags is completely different.

CSI Italy . G:)))

. . . wanted to add, that I did not claim that Marc farmed out Acadians to Italy. I do know it has been a widespread rumour ( urban myth?? ) for many years now.

. . . I don't think it really matters. What would matter is if some Euro builder were cloning Acadians. If Marc did a deal with some builder, then, he must have known what he was doing.

G.( proud owner of two Acadians..: )))

proud collector/owner of two MARC SAVOY ACADIANS, ( one ten button, one nine button (lil red), one nine button BON CAJUN & one POINTE NOIR courtesy of larry( merci beaucoup mr. english )

Re: Re: Acadian for sale ( maybe )

Albert,

I particularly like the red Acadian 9 buttons, very pretty.

Looks like an oldie.

Claude.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!