Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fiddlers around Lafayette?

Anyone on here know of anyone good to take some fiddle lessons from around lafayette....I know, this isn't a fiddle forum, but I can't help it. I am in Carencro now and want to start with the fiddle on the side....I know of Mitch Reed, but I know Mitch is busy too. Any feedback will help..

Joey

Re: Fiddlers around Lafayette?

Courtney Granger is giving them now. His contact info is on his myspace page. I don't know the address off hand but just search myspace for Courtney Granger and his site will pop up.

Re: Fiddlers around Lafayette? -- Henry Hample

Hey bro,

I would try Henry Hample. He's moving to the area from NYC and he is one of the best Cajun fiddler's I've ever seen. He made his living up here teaching and playing fiddle, so I would definitely look him up.

Being someone from outside the Cajun tradition has made him an excellent teacher. Also, he's one of the few "outsider" fiddlers who regularly turns the heads of local musicians.

If you google him you can get his website and contact info. Feel free to tell him that I sent you.

Nick B

Brazos Huval from Breaux Bridge, (bass player for Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys) gives fiddle lessons, he's a very friendly guy and I hear he's a great teacher. I play accordion but I recently bought a fiddle and plan on taking lessons in the near future from Brazos (email me and I can get you in touch with him). Also, Dave Trainer with T'Sale gives lessons at Cite Des Arts in downtown Lafayette call 337-237-7354 or 337-291-1122. Also, in August Louisiana Folk roots with be hosting four classes (one a week for four weeks) with members of the Mamou Playboys. 4 Fiddle classes with David Greely, 4 accordion classes with Steve Riley, or 4 guitar classes with Sam Broussard, call Louisiana Folk roots at 337-234-8360 for more info. I can tell you the cost of all four classes will be $40 for nonmembers and that space is limited to 10 students per class/instructor so if interested get your spot reserved asap.

Re: Re: Fiddlers around Lafayette?

Thanks guys, big help to get started..Didn't know Brazos gave lessons....I'll talk to him tomorrow night at Nick's...I may look up the guy that you mentioned too, Nick..Thanks as always

Joey

Re: Re: Re: Fiddlers around Lafayette?

You can check with Cedric Watson and Jonno Frishberg too.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fiddlers around Lafayette?

After exhausting all the above resources, just show up at the Blue Moon Saloon, and ask around you'll end up with a list comprising half a dozen names before long..... There's also Blake Miller (Larry's grand son) who plays base with the Pine Leaf Boys is also a very good fiddler..Happy fiddling!..:-)

You could try asking at my cajun-fiddlers link above also.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!