Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: As far from a cajun box as you can get

The concertina is a very unusual instrument. Usually associated with sailors it had quite a showing in Vaudville at the turn of the last century.

I took a stab at playing it once but I found the paino accordion much easier. In general I felt accordion music was okay but not really exciting.

Then I stumbled onto Cajun and as many on this board can appreiciate, life has not been the same.

Re: Re: As far from a cajun box as you can get

I play a vintage twenty key Lachenal concertina, mainly for things like Christmas carols, hymns and children's songs. It goes real well with my Dickens on the Strand costume. It has it's place, but like you, life has not been the same after discovering the Cajun accordion.

Re: As far from a cajun box as you can get

John,

I know what you mean about certain songs are a good match for certain instuments. One of the ladies in out little music group plays piano accordion. She can play a slow Aire or Irish waltz so sweet you can smell the Honeysuckle.

I think that is why the Cajun accordion sounds so good, it evolved with the players and the music.

Re: Re: As far from a cajun box as you can get

there is a very fine irish cd with concertina and button accordion, called "the lonely stranded band" featuring Charlie Piggot and a lady concertina player. Really fascinating. So, if you had an overdose of cajun, I can recommend this. (also very fine Irish singing too)

Gus

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!