Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Going Cajun in Austin, TX

I finally got by Evangeline Cafe to see Charles Thibodeaux and his band. He is a pure old-time Cajun and gets them up dancing. A friend of his named Tom sat in for a couple of songs, so when I am ready, I think I have an opportunity of do so myself. Charles had two boxes with him. A beautiful Martin (tuned in D I believe) and his favorite box, a plain looking, but wonderful sounding C box made by Dick Richard.

If anyone is ever in Austin on a Monday night, find Evangeline Cafe and enjoy Charles while you eat a bowl of gumbo or a plate of jambalaya.

John

Re: Going Cajun in Austin, TX

Make sure you see the Austin based Gulf Coast Playboys .. who play the Moose Lodge on occasion. Best kept Cajun Swamp Pop secret in Texas.. pure talent. They have a website.

GLENN

Re: Re: Going Cajun in Austin, TX

I forgot about the Playboys, thanks for reminding me.

Of course, there is Ponty Bone and a few others that cross over towards Cajun. And for a real night of fun, Brave Combo burns up the traditional accordion keyboard with polkas etc...but we were talking about Cajun music.

thanks again

(God, now I've got my eye on a two row Paolo Soprani someone has for sale. not a cajun box for sure, but the keyboard action is wonderful and it would be fabulous for Conjunto/Norteno. I compared it to a Hohner Corona II, the Paolo Soprani is soooo much better)

Re: Re: Re: Going Cajun in Austin, TX

I forgot to mention that the Paolo Soprani is tuned in F and B-flat. Great for Zydeco of course.

Re: Re: Re: Going Cajun in Austin, TX

Make sure you check out Ponty Bone's Beltrami accordion.. it's the biz for sure.

If you found a Grey Soprani.. and in B/C or other Irish tuning.. and flat keyboard... those accordions sell for $3,500..

If stepped keyboard and in G/C or other fifths tuning ( A/D or D/G or C/F ) then worth a fraction of the other type.

Good luck-- Old Soprani's are the next best thing.

G.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Going Cajun in Austin, TX

This Soprani is red, tuned F/B-flat, non stepped keyboard. Single shoulder strap but No thumb strap, but it has a great groove along the edge of the keyboard to slide your thumb in. It sounds fabulous. I think I may go buy it today. It is only $750 and has been recently tuned by Castiglione.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!