Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thumb Strap adjustment

I am with the others. I adjust and re-punch the strap. I also replaced the thick stiff leather with a more supple leather. It is mine, I can do what I need to make it feel right.

Good Squeezen

Re: Re: Thumb Strap adjustment

Thanks for the feedback.

Since no one mentioned doing that, I was wondering if there was a good reason not to.

But I'm going to go ahead with my plan and punch new holes.

Jude

On my Gabb King, the thumb strap was mounted too far from the keyboard and I carefully drilled new pilot holes (you don't want to split the wood by driving screws into it without pilot holes) and moved it closer to the edge. worked great. I might replace the stiff leather with a softer piece too. That sounds like a good idea.

On my Hohner 114, I unscrewed and shorted both the thumb and the bass straps to fit more snug. A loose strap is a pain in the neck.

I have done similar adjustments as the others have mentioned. It depends on the circumstances.

In one case, the strap was mounted too far away from the keyboard edge, so I unscrewed it, drilled new holes and remounted it. In another cases, the mounting position was fine, but the strap opening was too large (either from stretching, or just being too large in the first place). So, I punched new holes in the leather for a snugger fit.

Separate from all of that, I also like to use a rubber band. But a rubber band will not help much if the strap is not adjusted right in the first place.

-David

Re: Re: Thumb Strap adjustment

Outside of adjusting or replacing your thumbstrap, I guess the alternative would be to squirt some botox off in your thumb. Not a good solution -- quite expensive -- but you wouldn't have to adjust your thumbstrap and your thumb would look years younger than the rest of your hand. The other option is to take a mallet to your thumb. Cheaper, but just plain stupid. Forget that one. And lastly, duct tape. Increase the girth of your thumb with a few wrapped strips of the element that fixes anything.

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Thumb Strap adjustment

R!ck,
Botox is easy to get nowadays. It's in the chili at Kroger's.

All you've gotta do is dip your thumb in the chili and then it'll lock right into place on the side of your box. In fact, it may never come off!

Jude

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thumb Strap adjustment

Right on Jude! Thank goodness I never got hooked on canned chili! Being a Texan, I've learned to make an honest bowl of red from scratch -- and I know EXACTLY what's in it. Never been one to add Staphylococcus, Salmonella or even Vibrio parahaemolyticus into my recipes. I don't have room in the spice cabinet for 'em.

Now, about that thumb thing... You know, a lot of people just need to workout their thumbs to get 'em buffed-up and ripped. Thumb wrassling with a gorilla is a good place to start. If no primate is available, get an Arriette (so I've been told).

I know... silly stuff. Geez it's Friday... and it's 5 O'Clock somewhere... and it's already 2 hours past Beer30. I'm ready for the whistle to blow...

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thumb Strap adjustment

As a PA player I find this fixed leather a real pain. Being hard to satisfy I am always fooling around with the straps. A good source of leather is the Salvation Army leather glove department. Leather is funny and has a grain which I can't see. I'll cut patches out of the gloves and if you pull it you can feel which way it gives more. I'll cut thumb straps and orient the leather the way it seems to be less elastic. Try to find men's gloves they are a little thicker. Deer skin is the best. It stretches, you can see it , and within reason and seems to have a good elasticity. I have had one of those on for quite a while. I will search out some more and cut them out and pass them out. Don't let me forget. Best to all, Jerry

I use Kangaroo tail leather on my cheap box. Just another oddity of mine that made some use.

www.1accordion.net/thmbstrap.htm

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!