Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Marc Savoy CD

I stopped by to visit with Marc Savoy a couple of days ago and our conversation turned to his "Back to the Basics" CD that is just him playing accordion and Ann on guitar. He told me he was getting ready to do another CD like it. If you have not heard Back to the Basics yet, you should really pick it up. A true master uninterupted by a fiddle or vocals.

Re: New Marc Savoy CD

I got it. Very nice, although some tunes remind me a little too much to the dutch street organs.

Gus

Re: Re: New Marc Savoy CD

Gus,

What's a "Dutch Street Organ"?

(And, where can I buy one!

--Big

Re: Re: Re: New Marc Savoy CD

Big Nick, check link 1

I`d love to see you practice with that on your knee,

I wonder where the thumbstrap is on this thing.

Wilfred

see Wilfreds message and link. It is a paper roll (more a book!) organ. (like the pianola). And because of this it has a very strict rythm, sometimes too strict if you understand what I mean.
There are builders all over Europe. Try this
http://draaiorgel.info-pagina.com/

Gus

I started to get that CD, but he renames all the songs, which will just confuse things when trying to look up stuff in my music library.

Re: Re: New Marc Savoy CD

What this CD captures is; in the hands of a master musician, it's astonishing to hear what the Cajun accordion *can* sound like. There really is no other Cajun recording quite as bare-bones as Back To The Basics -- a delicious treat to the ears.

I highly recommend Back To The Basics. It's classical art in its purest form.

R!CK

Yes, what Rick said!

Regarding the names of the tunes, "Two Step a Sidney Fourneroy" surely sounds what I know as "High Point Two Step". Not sure about the history of the names but it'll make interesting conversation with Marc. Until then (and that aside), it's one great sounding CD of pure, musical accordion playing by a master!

Dale

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Marc Savoy CD

Hey Dale! I'm not 100% about this, because I never asked, but the way I understand it, even though the people after whom he named the songs may not have written them, these are the people who played these songs that first inspired him. That's just my idea... I just remember that, when I expressed my love for "Quelle Etoile" to my dad, he said, "Oh! You GOTTA hear Alpheé Bergeron do it!" And he grabbed the record and had me listen to it. So, on the album, "Quelle Etoile" is called "La Valse a Alpheé Bergeron".

Right...anyway, any of you who might not have it and are interested can check out at least two of the songs from it here http://www.myspace.com/marcsavoyappreciationpage

I don't remember how many are there, but I'm too lazy to go look right now.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Marc Savoy CD

Seems that I ordered one of the first copies, half a year ago .

I put the page in my "favourites".

This man deserves an award for his oevre and work for the music and culture, right?

Gus

MASTER MUSICIAN and MASTER ACCORDION BUILDER. for you fiddle lovers, the "NEW" DENNIS MCGEE/SADY COURVILLE CD, has 28 songs on it, 16 of them from 1972 that had NEVER been released. just the two masters fiddling and singing, no accordion, no guitar, no triangle

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!