Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Amedée Ardoin

Have any of you heard about the new Amedee CD? Wilson was talking about it. The story is that someone's father died and this record was found in a safe in his attic. He didn't know what it was, but thought it might be important, so he gave it to Wilson, who then put it on a shelf and didn't listen to it for months. Finally, he checked it out and didn't know any of the songs, so it's going to be (or has been) made into a CD. I might not have all the facts straight, because I was busy while he was talking about it. I thought maybe someone here knew something about it... ?

Re: Amedée Ardoin

I've not heard about this, but this is indeed good news! I just hope the safe was well-insulated. Vinyl/plastic doesn't fair well in attics. Nevertheless, what a treasure it will be if the project ever comes to fruition! Thanks for the heads-up, Sarah. Tell yer brutha not to bogart and pass it over to the rest of us! There might be some good hits on it!

R!CK

That's news to me! Sure it's not a farce, a niche? I've seen the titles of all his sides in Tony Russell's book and I thought they were all on either the Arhoolie cd I'm Never Coming Back or on Sony's Cajun Dance Party.

Re: Re: Amedée Ardoin

Hmmmm...This is the kind of post we generaly see on 04/01.

But...one never knows

Hope it is true about the amede ardoin music. any one else purchase the new dennis mcgee and sady courville CD. it has 28 songs on it, 16 previously unreleased. great stuff, i love it.

I didnt get the cd, but i did get the 4 1/2 hours worth of cassettes from Joe Bussard that those songs were taken off of, and digitized them. I like the Joe Bussard recordings because the recorder was never turned off and all the banter between the songs were captured. I like that as much as the music. It's funny to listen to Sady, who likes to tell stories and chat, and Denus who just wanted to play. Every now and then while they were yakking Denus would impatiently blurt out "Allons jouer!".

If these Amede songs do come out, I'll be in line for the cd.

Re: Re: Re: Amedée Ardoin

Bryan ~ are you talking about the stuff Sarah is referring to or are you talking about the new, once extremely rare and now incredibly popular Dennis McGee and Sady Courville CD. which contains 28 songs on it, in which 16 tracks are previously unreleased?

It's officially beerthirty...

R!CK

Re: Re: Re: Re: Amedée Ardoin

Yes.

I was saying if the Amede stuff comes out that Sarah is refering to, I'll break your newly elongated fingernail getting to it. And I have the 4 1/2 hours worth of cassettes (now digitized) that the new Denus Mcgee/Sady Courville cd was birthed from. It is available from Joe Bussard in Maryland. Found that and a million other things on Neal's site.

If it was an unknown or forgotton record, given the period when Amadé was recording wouldn't it have been a 78 which only contains two songs, unless it was an album of 78,'s, really this would be too good to be true.
Also is Amedé's name spelled with a final é or, ée which seems strange.

I bet there is no definate spelling of his name. Lot's of those old generation didnt know how to write and their name was spelled phonetically depending on who was writing it. And he may not have a birth certificate to check. Dont know for sure though.

Here is what we know so far about the record in question.

Someone has it stored and one day runs across it.

Then he or she is thinking ( what the hell this may be important) so I'll give it to Wilson Savoy.

Wilson's thinking ( I don't know about that, it's only Amedee Ardion???????) So I'll sit on it for a couple of months or so.

Then he discusses it with his sister. Not much detail given.

Then Sarah ask the forum. Does anyone know what Wilson is going to do with that Amedee Ardoin record.

Re: Re: Re: Amedée Ardoin

It's a good story.

Inadvertently overlooked "lost recordings" do show up from time to time, but they usually involve retirement funds. An 8-track would have made a better story, at least theres a plausible excuse for not playing it immediately.

Well Mr. Parsons, we know what Wilson did with it. He Bogarted it. Learned as many of Amedee's songs as he could and attempted to wow the world with his new found, "so old its new", talent? But alas, Amede Ardoin is on youtube for all to enjoy now. See Amede Ardoin Top Tracks. Evidently someone else had the steels of Amede Ardoin beside that one that was ??given?? to Wilson. LOL, I'm pretty sure the Savoy family has had their own recordings of Amede Ardoin for some time now. Marc S is steeped in Amede's style and songs if you hadn't been asstoot enough to notice.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!