Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cajun Harmonica Heaven

Has anyone heard harmonica player Isom Fontenot's tunes on the Arhoolie LP's "Sounds of the Louisiana Acadians Vol 1 & 2" 1956-60) and Cajun fais DO-Do Hosted by Revon Reed over KEUN Remote Fron Mamou Louisiana" (1966)?
Among others he plays a waltz called "La Bétail Dans le 'Tite Arbre"- it lifts your s-o-u-l !!! I wonder if his recordings are on CD.

Anyway-the question is-who are the best Cajun harmonica players recorded or not. Who else has left his mark on the Musique à Bouche?

Re: Cajun Harmonica Heaven

There are, and have been, a bunch of really good harmonica players, they just dont make the waves the accordion players do.

I have Isom on these cd's:
Folksongs of the Louisiana Acadians
Cajun Fais Do Do

And some on Neal's site.

I think Cheese Read also did some but I cant find them, bet Neal would know.

Some of my fondest childhood music memories were of my dad and a friend of his, Hersey Delafosse, playing together on visits. I dont know how he ranked, but as a young boy I remember getting the frissons when Hersey would play his harmonica.

I met a guy at Marc Savoy's, then again at the Mamou music festival, a Fontenot, cant remember his first name. He was as good as any I've heard. He also played the fiddle and accordion and had an Adam Hebert sounding voice.

Hé Harlan, envoye-moi un email.

Boozoo Chavis plays harmonica (listed in the credits as "Frehcn harp") on Jump the Boogie, track no. 7 from the CD Hey Do Right.

Isom is amazing and to me, he was the best that was EVER recorded on the harmonica in the Cajun style. There may have been other players as good as him, but I never heard any--live or recorded...to me he is the king. His recordings were the whloe reason I started playing harmonica...I am still working on getting his sound to come out of my harp...but man, it takes some kind of command of the split tongue technique and throat articulation...it is basically making your harmonica sound like an accordion--both sides of the accordion--while just playing a little 10 hole harmonica.

Others--I haven't heard him play recently but, Jerry Devillier is the current Cajun harmonica guru. He works the the Liberty theare broadcast booth. He also appeared with Isom on one of the recordings. Around the Golden triangle area in Texas...Mr. Ron Keddy is a long time harmonica player in the Cajun style--I don't think he ever recorded.

Jude Moreau is a great Blues style harmonica player, but I don't know if he ever really tried the split tongue octave style that Isom was the master of...how bout it, Jude?

Re: Re: Cajun Harmonica Heaven

I always felt Isom Fontenot was amazing but your explaination of his technique underscores what I was feeling.
I remember hearing a cassette that Faren Serette (formerly of Filé) made back in the 80"'s, it had several harp tunes that were very pretty, including one called "Butte Larose". I don't believe Faren uses Isom's technique though.

Chris, about your comment about Isom Fontenot. I do not think anyone will ever be able to play and match his technique. He also played effortless. He was also a very good singer.
Jerry Devillier
PS Will be seeing you soon. Neil Granger has invited me to Lake Charles and we will be going to listen to you and the band. I am looking forward to it.

I don't think this is what you're looking for (the 3rd link), but it might be a muse.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!