Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How Pine Leaf Boys took their name

OK and I'll bump my reply up here as well.

I did not suggest that the PLB used a non Cajun related name.. I suggested they used a name that would encompass more than 1 genre ergo more venues and a wider audience...

As the PHC yeah I do remember

but don't worry there is little chance the PLB will be accused of being the worlds greatest Cajun band.

Pine Leaf Boys revisited

I missed out on all the fun with the thread below - darn day job. I've seen PLB a few times, and for me, live is better than the CDs. But it seems to be that way with lots of bands. So much in all the arguments are pretty subjective. Some love more notes per millisecond, some hate it. Some people exude carisma standing still and others couldn't generate a personality no matter how much jumping around they do. So what is it you look for? Is it Cajun, not Cajun, not Cajun enough? If the argument is you have to stay trad and born, raised, and live in La, that pretty much eliminates most people on this board. If you try to convince someone to like your faves, you should wear mittens cause you'll only hurt yourself. Guess it's human nature to take it personal if someone doesn't like the same thing you do. Kudos to all for not going all flamey.
For me, I like PLB for many reasons. They look and sound like they enjoy what they're doing. For me, that's important. I've enjoyed mediocre players that have put on a great shows, and have been bored to death by virtuosos who look, well, bored to death.
I'm not qualified to know how 'cajun' PLB material is. I think that's a moot point anyway, because it implies a genre has to stay within certain boundries. If something can't grow, it can only die. Don't get me wrong, I love the trad stuff, but not big on keeping things under glass. In old time fiddling, there are some that pride themselves in staying authentic. Problem is, it often takes 8 minutes to explain a tune, then 3 minutes to play it. Hate to see that happen tp Cajun.
Another reason I like PLB, is that I've seen them at the Blue Moon, and the whole atmosphere reminded me of the early days at CBGBs. **** the torpedoes, let's make some music. And just like back then, I saw some great stuff, some so so stuff, but it was all part of the bigger picture - something was happening here, something good, something fun, something special.
Anyway, this all makes for a fun discussion, but I think we all look for different things. One thing we do well, is praise someone till they start the climb up the ladder, then as more people look, we try kicking the ladder from under them. Then again, some are pretty good at falling off the ladder on their own. I'm gonna lie on the floor for a while and do this jigsaw puzzle.

Re: Pine Leaf Boys revisited

pine leaf boys; a lively entertaining show, good music, nice guys, what do you wan't more ? ..... if i was needing a band for a party & goodtime, i would book them straight away. not some I-Know-It-All-And-Better and It-Should-Be-Like-This-Only-&-Holy-Way mentality type "musicians" ..... nout

Re: Re: Pine Leaf Boys revisited

Mr. nout - that was a refreshing post. Top to bottom good young musicians with an amazing amount of energy and showmanship. They respect their roots and push the envelope to the max. (I don't agree with smashing a guitar at their Le Cajun performance a few years ago but it didn't stunt my growth either.) I also agree with your comment about the "I know it all and better... holier than thou "musicans".

Excellent perspective, Fiddleboy!

R!CK

Very well said Steve. And I agree that seeing them live is better than the cds. I saw them before I knew anything about them. And I was amazed. But if I had heard a lot of hype before, I may have been disappointed. Kinda like a movie someone tells you so much about that it doesnt live up to the picture they painted. I think that's what Soundhound was getting at.

But for me, I appreciate things about them beyond their actual talent. I like the fact that some 20 something guys are singing in cajun french, and actually knowing what they are singing. And they are able to appeal to a lot of traditionalists and young folks alike. Without appealing to young folks, I worry about parts of this culture dying off.

Right on Bryan. When marketing a band, regardless if it's Louisiana music or Buddhist monkey chanting, the idea is to undersell and overdeliver. If you can do that and still leave the audience screaming for one more, yuh done good-- regardless if the rest of the world likes your rendition of The Chameaux One-Step played on the flugelhorn or not.

R!CK

Young Stevie Ray Vaughn playing with his brother Jimmie, live at the Soap Creek Saloon, early 80's...couldn't get any better. I'm sure the same is true of PLBs, Lost Bayou Ramblers etc live at Blue Moon.

My boy John, I couldn't agree more, at least with the SRV comment...

Re: How Pine Leaf Boys took their name

For people who knows about trees it's also a funny name.

Re: Re: How Pine Leaf Boys took their name

For Peoples who knows about herbs it may make sense!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!